Discuss Is anti-crack matting necessary? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jayney71

Hi

This is my first post on here :)

I've been getting quotes for laying polished porcelain tiles in a recent extension. We have underfloor heating (wet? - connected to gas boiler, not electric) with a screed over the top. One of the tilers who's quoted says we need anti-crack matting but our builder who is getting other quotes for us says we definitely don't need it.

I don't know who's right! Can anyone help?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks
Jayne

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Listen to the tiler, builders still live in the " it's always been ok" land.
things have moved on, you are spending a lot on these tiles so best do it right. Trust your tiler. He knows best. Plus if he is recommending this, he knows his stuff.

you don't go and see a doctor, then go with advise from a mate in the pub!

all the best.:welcome:

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I also would trust your tiler above a builder, try asking your tiler how to build a wall. But if your unsure then get another couple of quotes from other tilers. If they all say the same you will have your answer. Unfortunately you like most people will still probably trust your builder over the tiler, not sure why this is but it happens a lot.

J

Jayney71

Listen to the tiler, builders still live in the " it's always been ok" land.
things have moved on, you are spending a lot on these tiles so best do it right. Trust your tiler. He knows best. Plus if he is recommending this, he knows his stuff.

you don't go and see a doctor, then go with advise from a mate in the pub!

all the best.:welcome:

Thanks, Chalker :) I know what you're saying about trusting the expert, but I think our builder is saying we don't need it because he's been getting a quote from another tiler who's said we don't need it. Are there any circumstances when we wouldn't need it?

The other complication is that we're having big sliding doors fitted on Wednesday with a flush threshold so we need to decide whether to have the matting or not so the doors to can fitted to take account of the slight extra floor thickness.

Jx

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In general I would agree that the tiler should know but in normal circumstances if the screed is sound and dry uncoupling is not a standard requirement for porcelain. It is a recomendation with stone or with unsound screeds. I would simply ask the tiler why he feels it is appropriate and gauge his response. Bear in mind that it would not hurt to uncouple even if it is nt technically necessary and for the sake of an extra few hundred quid on an extension that has likely cost you several thousand "is it worth spoiling the ship for a hapeth of tar"

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i have seen so many floors ruined by poor prep work, i agree with all the above comments ,
dont put your faith in what your builder recommends , for the sake of a few hundred extra quid , cutting corners will cost you much more in the long run

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How big is the floor area?

what hype of screed and is it dry?

is the builder putting you off because of a finished height issue?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive never used one on ufh with porcelain.no problems, but im a plasterer by trade, so whatta i know [emoji41][emoji106][emoji8]

T

Time's Ran Out

If its a new screed how long has it been down?
If its new wet Ufh has it been run up to temperature?
Has the screed cracked anywhere ?
Is this a cost issue?

Get the first tiler to do the floor as IMHO he wants to do it in the 21st century and if he is prepared to do it without decoupling sign a disclaimer for him and get your builder to sign an extended warranty just for this part works - see if he's prepared to back up his cost cutting!

M

mattyg

My first bathroom didn't have Ditra Mat. When we had to redo due to cracks in the floor our 2nd attempt did.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My first bathroom didn't have Ditra Mat. When we had to redo due to cracks in the floor our 2nd attempt did.

It could of failed for many a reason, what tiles, what substrate, how were they fit,who fit them, what addy, was ufh commissioned before install, was floor dry ect ect ect
Ditra is not the magic carpet of the tiling world

R

Rookery

I wouldn't normally put a matting under porcelain tiles over ufh though I definitely would with stone.

M

mattyg

It could of failed for many a reason, what tiles, what substrate, how were they fit,who fit them, what addy, was ufh commissioned before install, was floor dry ect ect ect
Ditra is not the magic carpet of the tiling world

Oh I understand that. But does it hurt to over engineer.

Reply to Is anti-crack matting necessary? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay