Discuss Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Marks and Spencers
I get more enjoyment buying online. Researching the products, procrastinating, comparing, pricing up etc.

Actually visiting a shop isn’t my idea of fun. I think this stems from years of being dragged round clothes shops as a child. Scarred for life.

Death of the high street? Good. It’s crap anyway. Revert back to independents. B0llocks to globalisation.

Well that's a contradictory post isnt it!

F

Flintstone

I think your opinion depends on what your into and what your spend your money on, if your into fashion and luxury items I'm sure you love to go shopping and see what's about and try stuff on etc. If your into tools, then there isn't really anywhere to go that sells exactly what you want - usually. If there was a tool warehouse that was priced inline with online then I'd be there, twice a day :D

W

Waluigi

I agree with that. I was talking about general shopping as per the ‘high street’ term in the first post.

Axminster is my local tool place but it’s not that great and mainly caters for woodwork type tooling

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went to town last week, after contacting the bank for a loan to pay for the parking..!

The end of the day why go through all the hassle, when I can push a few buttons on my phone and get it...

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I like to do both, never buy clothes off the internet, more stuff has to go back, cos it’s too tight, too big, wrong shade etc.

I like the interaction with another human being as well, rather than ticking a box to acknowledge I am not a ‘bot’

You can’t play one shop off against the other like you can on the high street

M

Marvo

I really don't understand it. Business models become outdated because technology moves on because peoples preferences change....it's just a fact. Milk's not delivered to your door anymore, you don't send your camera film in to be developed anymore and you don't just use your mobile phone to call and speak to people anymore.

The only reason people will be out of work is because the older legacy businesses didn't adapt to change in time and because the governments did too little to be proactive by preparing the labour force for the changing landscape before the changes happen.

And their answer to the mess they're sitting with.......tax their way out of it. Genius idea, it's not going to help the situation one iota but some extra folding stuff in the governments back pocket is always nice. It's easily marketable to the average consumer that's going to end up paying it by invoking some nostalgia about the good ol' highstreet and as being good for unemployment plus they can trot out an endless stream of short sighted legacy business owners that helped cause the problem in the first place and they'll do the cheerleading about how that's the best answer.

S

Spare Tool

I really don't understand it. Business models become outdated because technology moves on because peoples preferences change....it's just a fact. Milk's not delivered to your door anymore, you don't send your camera film in to be developed anymore and you don't just use your mobile phone to call and speak to people anymore.

The only reason people will be out of work is because the older legacy businesses didn't adapt to change in time and because the governments did too little to be proactive by preparing the labour force for the changing landscape before the changes happen.

And their answer to the mess they're sitting with.......tax their way out of it. Genius idea, it's not going to help the situation one iota but some extra folding stuff in the governments back pocket is always nice. It's easily marketable to the average consumer that's going to end up paying it by invoking some nostalgia about the good ol' highstreet and as being good for unemployment plus they can trot out an endless stream of short sighted legacy business owners that helped cause the problem in the first place and they'll do the cheerleading about how that's the best answer.
Sad but true

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Comet being a case in point, didn't do internet sales so they went under

M

Marvo

Maplins also so I heard... used to beone of my favourite shops when I was at Uni in the UK.

C

Concrete guy

Mike Ashley - I wouldn’t listen/believe a word he says.
Anyway it means more charity shops for my kind of pensioner shopping!

Funnily enough I had this opinion of Mike Ashley until I watched his "audience" in front of the Gov committee.

Now I have skin in this game obviously but what I saw was a businessman that had a real understanding of why we find ourselves in this position and his suggestion is not a daft one.

The high street is dead due to an outdated business model.

It needs to adapt or die. Well it's already on life support but it's not the fault of the businesses themselves.

ATS Diamond Tools is run from an office in my garden. I legitimately don't pay business rates or rent or staffing costs to make sales, I am an internet business. If I moved my business to a shop less than a mile from where I currently run, the profit from the first £250,000 a year of turnover would be sucked up in rent, business rates and other fixed overheads.

That's just not sustainable. The entire High Street business model is outdated and no longer viable but it simply hasn't been adapted.

The government and landlords (for large properties of which many of whom are investment/pension/hedge funds) don't see this as their problem, they see it as the business owners problem.

The business owners are quite rightly walking away as they are getting no support. I get this, Mike Ashley gets this. Amazon and eBay gets this.

This is then compound even further by global business made possible by the internet.

eBay and Amazon strongly subsidise direct sales from Chinese sellers. But not only do the platforms subsidise this.

China is still classed as an "emerging market" internationally, therefore qualifies for special concessions when it comes to certain service. Delivery for example. Royal Mail are obliged to handle and deliver Chinese originating parcels and packages at a rate that equates to less the £0.01 per item. Yup that's postage costs from China to the UK of less than a penny.

Items under £30 are also exempt from VAT.

We all pay for this in our taxes and increased subsidised postage costs ourselves.

Do I like Mike Ashley as a person? I've never met him.

Do I think he understands business and his ideas make sense? Undoubtedly, the Government would do with listening to him instead of berating him.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I know he's negotiated some new rents on the House of Fraser stores he's taken over, some of them he's even got away with agreeing to pay no rent.

S

Spare Tool

Funnily enough I had this opinion of Mike Ashley until I watched his "audience" in front of the Gov committee.

Now I have skin in this game obviously but what I saw was a businessman that had a real understanding of why we find ourselves in this position and his suggestion is not a daft one.

The high street is dead due to an outdated business model.

It needs to adapt or die. Well it's already on life support but it's not the fault of the businesses themselves.

ATS Diamond Tools is run from an office in my garden. I legitimately don't pay business rates or rent or staffing costs to make sales, I am an internet business. If I moved my business to a shop less than a mile from where I currently run, the profit from the first £250,000 a year of turnover would be sucked up in rent, business rates and other fixed overheads.

That's just not sustainable. The entire High Street business model is outdated and no longer viable but it simply hasn't been adapted.

The government and landlords (for large properties of which many of whom are investment/pension/hedge funds) don't see this as their problem, they see it as the business owners problem.

The business owners are quite rightly walking away as they are getting no support. I get this, Mike Ashley gets this. Amazon and eBay gets this.

This is then compound even further by global business made possible by the internet.

eBay and Amazon strongly subsidise direct sales from Chinese sellers. But not only do the platforms subsidise this.

China is still classed as an "emerging market" internationally, therefore qualifies for special concessions when it comes to certain service. Delivery for example. Royal Mail are obliged to handle and deliver Chinese originating parcels and packages at a rate that equates to less the £0.01 per item. Yup that's postage costs from China to the UK of less than a penny.

Items under £30 are also exempt from VAT.

We all pay for this in our taxes and increased subsidised postage costs ourselves.

Do I like Mike Ashley as a person? I've never met him.

Do I think he understands business and his ideas make sense? Undoubtedly, the Government would do with listening to him instead of berating him.
Well thats popped a bubble...I'd never have imagined you run ATS from your shed Alan..fair bloody play mate, fair play!!

Reply to Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks