Discuss Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

As I've been off this week I watched a lengthy meeting with Mike Ashley, a controversial figure I know but he's certainly a powerful man especially where the high street is concerned. Anyway amongst other things the core of his proposal is to introduce an additional 20% tax to be paid by companies who do more than 20% of there sales online, to encourage more counter sales and stop the rapid decline of shopping as we once knew it and to get shops opening up again. This would be for all online sales.

Opinions ?

J

J Sid

I'm for more internet shopping, who has time to hit the high streets? It's a day wasted, time you get into your local town, parked, walk or ride in.
the high street is dead, let's more on....

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea.
I feel it’s important for towns to have a thriving high street.
It brings tourism, trade and most importantly jobs to the local area.

T

Time's Ran Out

Mike Ashley - I wouldn’t listen/believe a word he says.
Anyway it means more charity shops for my kind of pensioner shopping!

D

Dumbo

Internet sales means local people out of work so not good for your economy . Also to run its full course all shops will shut which means you will not be able to nip into town just to get something quick ..
The only real exception to this would be good based shops .

I

Italy

Internet shopping, I could write a book ..
with what I saw and did.
I tell the most striking one, buying 2 tools for an amount of 500 € on the Internet.
I asked four authorized local dealers for a price, the best one
he wanted 700 €, I told him if he was willing to make € 600 for
the purchase, he said no.
I bought on the internet for 500 € from an authorized dealer.
returning to the opening post, even here they are thinking of a fee of 3% for internet sales, but only for those who bill over € 750,000.
in any case, local stores should only focus
on assistance, or open an internet shop.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I ordered 4 lintels for an extension from one of these web based building suppliers once.

He was around £100 cheaper than my building suppliers so took the chance which turned out to be a mistake.

After many phone calls and emails and with a bricklayer waiting they turned up 5 days late.
2 of which were not the correct size.

Guess what, that was the last I heard of him, wouldn’t answer calls or emails.

Set up a dispute with PayPal (the only payment he would accept) and after 30 days they decided in his favour and transferred the money to him!

Never again.

S

Spare Tool

Usually spread my money around a bit, some online some in the high street, just been into town and was mental, nowhere to park, and falling over folk in the shops..
My daughter gave me her Christmas list other week, A4 sheet of paper full including prices, codes and online shops...rude not to when she's made it easy :)

D

Dumbo

It's a massive problem and I'm all for the high street and supporting local shops
I agree with you fully . As long as they aren't taking the wee wee . For instance when I got my 3e3m I could of got it £50 cheaper but instead I got it from one of my local tile stores .

W

Waluigi

I get more enjoyment buying online. Researching the products, procrastinating, comparing, pricing up etc.

Actually visiting a shop isn’t my idea of fun. I think this stems from years of being dragged round clothes shops as a child. Scarred for life.

Death of the high street? Good. It’s crap anyway. Revert back to independents. B0llocks to globalisation.

S

Spare Tool

Just checked a gift box of perfume ive bought for the misses this afternoon...picked it up in the shop gave it to the assistant "thats a display box, I'll get you one out of the back" she comes out puts it in the bag, I pay for it, come home and its the bloody wrong One ffs the 'STUPID WOMAN' ...knew I should have ordered online!!!

W

WetSaw

Just checked a gift box of perfume ive bought for the misses this afternoon...picked it up in the shop gave it to the assistant "thats a display box, I'll get you one out of the back" she comes out puts it in the bag, I pay for it, come home and its the bloody wrong One ffs the 'STUPID WOMAN' ...knew I should have ordered online!!!

I'm sure she'll like the Brut 33 gift box just as much.

Reply to Internet sales tax and high street business in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks