Search the forum,

Discuss If you started your business again. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

If you started your business again, would you do anything different this time around.?

And how would you do it or are you fine with how you have done.?

U

user123

:) I would have started it earlier, much much earlier. Not having to play catch-up with a million ideas in my head...

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if i started my buisness again i would try to get in with more builders, kitchen comps or conservatory comps, anywhere i could get more regular work, doing just domestic work i have found to be very hit and miss this year.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
All bar a couple of years here and there Ive been self employed since I left school in '81. Biggest mistake I made was taking the employed jobs and thats why Im back on my own.

Got to the crossroads where I'm thinking about taking someone on, but it really isnt an easy dicision to make.

A

albyshellshear

I am about to start again and you can bet I will be doing it different no bread, cakes, pies ect just tiling and plumbing no shops with there catches electric, gas, water, rates, wages, just me and a van and a lot of advertising and learn from my mistakes and take from my better ideas, Oh and never fall into the credit trap pay up front if poss credit comes back to bite you HARD

C

cornish_crofter

I was quite lucky when I started up the first time. I made good use of the free business advice/startup help available to me.

I would have started about a year earlier than I did, immediately after leaving my paid job, rather than spend time being interviewed for jobs that I didn't want.

I would have scoped my skills/activities much more than I did. I fell into the trap of saying I could do anything building work wise. Whilst I could do most things I did end up earning very little on one or two jobs that took forever.

I would have also got myself onto more courses at an earlier stage. When I started my business I was put with Working Links (having been unemployed for a while. They paid for my electrical courses. Upon reflection a tiling course would have been a good one to blag as tiling is becoming a not incosiderable part of what I do, and there are skills you pick up as a tiler that are transferrable to other trades.

U

user123

Business advice - yes, good idea. :thumbsup:
Anyone reading this thread and thinks they either know it all or could do with improving their lot should go on NETT Darren's course, really. Nooo, before you ask, I'm in no way connected to him or his business, but I did do the tiling course there and business advice was a large part of it, and it's obvious he knows his stuff, I can smell rats a mile off, he isn't one, he really does know the business. It's the sort of training the equivalent of which you see on TV in relation to any skill and think to yourself, amazing what can be done with the right teacher. Now's your chance. If you missed his thread, just pm him...

D

doug boardley

I suppose it would all boil down to "if I knew then what I know now" scenario, there's a lot of things I've wasted time and money on and given hindsight I'd give them a wide berth now, but in the main I've got no real complaints.

Reply to If you started your business again. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen