Search the forum,

Discuss How to re-tile on to a wooden bathroom window sill/recess? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Adam78

Hi,

I have some tiles that have popped off on the vertical side of a bathroom window recess. I've remove all the tiles along this edge and noticed the recess was finished with a cheap looking wooden panel(looks like chipboard) and the the tiles simply tiled on top of it. As the wood has got wet and swelled the tiles have popped off. The wood is a bit rotten around areas where its had constant exposure to wet.

1) How do I re-tile on top of this wood. Should I replace the wood, if so what with? Would ply wood suffice as i've already got some spare?

2) I'm not sure how the original plank of wood was fastened so not sure whats behind it as i cant see any screws. If i use use plywood how would you screw it to the wall i.e what type/length screws.

3) what type of tile adhesive and grout do i need to use. I alread bought some everbuild 702 waterproof acrylic tile adhesive and everbuild foreverwhite mould resistant grout not knowing what the backing surface of these tiles were. Is the above tile adhesive and grout adequate to tile on to wood, or do i need some other type of tile adhesive?

4) Also is there a quick tip or technique to get the old adhesive off the tiles. Currently ive placed all the tiles in to a bucket of water to soak.

Any advice and tips to quickly get the above job done would be much appreciated. Its a small job about 1m x 15cm tiling, what seemed like a quick job has now turned into a bigger job.

M

Mr Tiler

without reading through it word for word id remove the old chipboard taking note of the thickness... simply replace with anything better lol. ply hardie or moisture resistant plasterboard. tile with what you have at hand or go and get some cement based flexi wall adhesive. grout all depends on a colour match to what is already up and get a scraper on those tiles after a night soaking in warm water. back butter the tiles as you fix as the water can cause the tiles not to fix in some circumstances.

S

Stef

I see you stated you have already bought waterproof acrylic adhesive?
No adhesive is waterproof & acrylic means it has water in it somewhere, how can water be waterproof???
Fix plasterboard & tank it out then use a suitable adhesive, job done...

J

jollyroger

I always try to board out window reveals with some left over Hardie. The window is one area where water can penetrate due to crap silicone job on the exterior. Actually had to remove a 1200mm x 1200mm bathroom window last week and re-fit as it was 15mm off the level. Took me 2 hrs but was well worth it. Do any of you guys ever think to check the exterior silicone job when tiling a window ? Hardie or similar is always my preference now for window reveals just to be on the safe side.

J

jollyroger

Maybe best to address the water ingress problem first. No point in re-tiling if you don't. Then remove the rotten wood and either fit some new plasterboard or preferably cement board. I would also suggest taking tiles out of bucket of water, dry them off and use an small angle grinder to remove the old adhesive.

Reply to How to re-tile on to a wooden bathroom window sill/recess? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen