Search the forum,

Discuss How do I clean algae stains from old clay pamments/floor bricks? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

confusedyouwill

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to clean black algae stains from the face of old clay pamments/floor bricks. I've tried pressure washing and scrubbing with bleach with no luck. Anything else I can use? They were laid in my garden, but I want to re-lay them indoors.

Reaction score
you could always try a mix of bleach and bicarb or try steam cleaning. there are also liquid brick and morar cleaners aroundabout £12 for 5 ltrs

C

confusedyouwill

I'll try the bleach/bicarb and steam cleaning, thanks. When you say brick and mortar cleaners, do you mean the acid based ones? I have some, based on hydrochloric acid. Was a bit worried about using that after bleach though, even though they have been thoroughly rinsed.

C

confusedyouwill

OK, I've decided this is next to impossible. I've tried: bleach, bleach and bicarb, brick acid, white vinegar, white vinegar and bicarb, vanish. Then scrubbed with a metal scourer. The stains have faded but not completely gone. Such a shame as these pamments would be lovely if I could clean them properly. The only other thing I can think of doing is taking the surface off with an angle grinder. Who knew that algae could leave tar like stains?

C

confusedyouwill

Quick update. The best method I found was to soak in brick acid then scour with a metal scouring pad. Didn't get rid of the stains completely, but gave the best result out of all the things I tried. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.

Reply to How do I clean algae stains from old clay pamments/floor bricks? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen