Search the forum,

Discuss how did people tile 100,s of years ago?..they still seem to be in place..amazing.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fipple

my point is those tiles are still intact!...ive been to rome and seen the stone/slabs pavers marble etc....and they still look amazing!...bit like cave paintings!they havent peeled.!

D

DHTiling

Re: how did people tile 100,s of years ago?..they still seem to be in place..amazing.

They are not on to todays substrates though... just laid onto earth..:thumbsup:

F

fipple

Re: how did people tile 100,s of years ago?..they still seem to be in place..amazing.

I know they used sand" as an uncoupler!...its the cuts that im wondering about!...loads of patterns but no dry cutters or wet saws like we have now!..i just wondered whether toolsm they used then are still being used now"?

D

DHTiling

If you ask TJ he might still have some of the tools he used on those floors..:lol:

H

Houston

all sand & cement

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Pin hammer and tungsten tipped chisel, that was the way I first cut floor tiles. Not hundreds of years ago though:lol: can still do it:thumbsup:

U

user123

Pin hammer and tungsten tipped chisel, that was the way I first cut floor tiles. Not hundreds of years ago though:lol: can still do it:thumbsup:

Not B&Q tiles then.... ? :lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

12 years ago when my son went to College for tiling, the instructor gave them a pin hammer and chisel to cut a hole in the middle of a tile!
I asked him how many the instructor cut - he said none.
He was only there 4 days before he came to work with me.
He asked me to show him how to do it - so I got my drill out:lol:

When I write my memoirs I'll include a section on Roman mosaic tiling and how they completed masterpieces before Rubi and Stanley came along!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

A couple of years ago I was offered a teaching job at Salford college. During a visit to the workshop I noticed they had some Ruabon quarundum 200x200 (these are for the newer peeps) an heavy industrial quarry tile impregnated with carbarundum powder.

The teacher commented "how difficult to cut they were" I asked him if he had a pin hammer & tipped chisel, after a bit of searching he came up with a cintride chisel and pin hammer. The looks on the faces of the young tilers, when I cut a perfect 50mm piece was a picture. I think they were impressed:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Ruabon - those were the days!:smilewinkgrin:

Reply to how did people tile 100,s of years ago?..they still seem to be in place..amazing.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen