Discuss Hi all, new member with question about outdoor tiling... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DarranB

Hi,
I have wooden cladding on the front of my house and I am looking to replace with split face mosaic tiles.
Behind the cladding is a wood frame, what is the best way to tile this area?
I was thinking OSB/ply board onto the frame and adhesive onto that?
What type of adhesive should be used?
Thanks in advance!
Darran

T

Tile Shop

You cannot tile on timber or any system of timber construction outside. Its too sensitive to changing weather conditions. There is very little available that can be used externally . Whatever you put onto a timber frame can't be trusted because of movement and expansion in the wood. If anything was to fall off you or someone under it could break a collar bone, lose an ear or die. Sounds blunt, but true.

Take it all off back to the brick and render it. That can be primed and tiled directly with any cement based flexible C2 or S1 adhesive after sufficient time is left to fully dry. And if you are tiling more than 3m high, you will also need additional hook and bracket mechanical fixings such as Rai-Fix

Reply to Hi all, new member with question about outdoor tiling... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks