Currently reading:
Help with external corner please

Search the forum,

Discuss Help with external corner please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Nut

TF
Sheffield
Hi
My builder has tiled my bathroom with bevelled tiles but I am left with an external corner where 2 levels meet on the bottom row and 2 cut, straight edges meet on the top row which leaves a big difference in the gap between the bottom and top row of tiles where the corner meets. I have been advised to cover this with 8mm trim but there is no other trim on the tiles (the grout is blended into the wall on the top and it is masticked on the bottom. Can anyone please advise if putting the trim on will work under these circumstances or will it make thing worse?

Nut

TF
Sheffield
Here you go. Thanks

20190718_102629.jpg

It will not improve it unfortunately, because the rest of the job is poorly done and looks unprofessional.
Uneven grout lines and lippage for starters. The internal corner is also poorly done, as are the cuts. That top grout line needs scraping out.
If you really want it to look good get a professional tiler in. Being brutally honest, some trim isn't going to fix this and, as you point out , it would look weird being the only piece of trim on the whole job.

Nut

TF
Sheffield
It will not improve it unfortunately, because the rest of the job is poorly done and looks unprofessional.
Uneven grout lines and lippage for starters. The internal corner is also poorly done, as are the cuts. That top grout line needs scraping out.
If you really want it to look good get a professional tiler in. Being brutally honest, some trim isn't going to fix this and, as you point out , it would look weird being the only piece of trim on the whole job.
Thanks Steve. Why do you think the top grouting needs scraping out and what would you replace it with? What is lippage?

If you zoom in on the top grout line it's looks very messy. Whether he'd used grout, caulk or silicone across the top of the tiles it wouldn't have killed him to run a profiling tool across it to scrape off the excess and make it look neater. I'd probably have used silicone there as it's a bathroom but I could be wrong on that. A nice trim could work too.
That external corner would have looked so much better if it was mitred, but a trim would look nice.
Lippage is where an edge of one tile is not exactly flush with the edge of the next tile, so there is a lip because one sits slightly higher than the other.

W

WetSaw

I find it quite frustrating what owners feel is acceptable in a holiday let or rental property. I look after holiday lets here in Spain and I'm dropping one owner this year because of our differences over what is acceptable for clients who have paid hard earned money for their holiday. The same for my house in the UK. If I wouldn't live with it I don't see why a tenant should have to.
No offence intended, just sharing my opinion!

Nut

TF
Sheffield
I find it quite frustrating what owners feel is acceptable in a holiday let or rental property. I look after holiday lets here in Spain and I'm dropping one owner this year because of our differences over what is acceptable for clients who have paid hard earned money for their holiday. The same for my house in the UK. If I wouldn't live with it I don't see why a tenant should have to.
No offence intended, just sharing my opinion!
Yes I agree but the rest of the property is top notch. Hand made furniture, laura ashley wallpaper and curtains, top of the range mattresses etc. Its just a shame the tiling will let it down.

Nut

TF
Sheffield
For the sake of a few hours work replacing a couple of tiles and mitering the corner, caulking along the top then paint down to the tiles, cleaning up the grout, then redoing that awful silicone would make a world of difference and, IMHO, make the difference from another so so rental.
Thanks for your reply. The problem with mitreing the corner is that the bottom tiles are both bevelled so I think trim would be better. Do you mean scrape the grout off the top and put caulk on? What do you mean by paint down the tiles and in which area please? Why do you think the silicone is awful?

W

WetSaw

The gap in the top tiles is bigger than the bottom. Mitering the corners would enable you to get an even grout line on the corner.
A smudge of caulking over the top of the grout at the top of the tiles will give you a smoother transition and nicer surface to paint. Fila Deterdek or similar will get the excess grout from the surface of the tiles. The silicone should be a constant angle, yours is in and out, thick and thin.

Nut

TF
Sheffield
The gap in the top tiles is bigger than the bottom. Mitering the corners would enable you to get an even grout line on the corner.
A smudge of caulking over the top of the grout at the top of the tiles will give you a smoother transition and nicer surface to paint. Fila Deterdek or similar will get the excess grout from the surface of the tiles. The silicone should be a constant angle, yours is in and out, thick and thin.
Thanks. Would you take the grouting off the top of the tiles where it meets the wall before putting the caulk on?
it's too late for trim unless you remove tiles :rolleyes:
Thanks Tony. I would take off the corner tiles to put the beading in.

Reply to Help with external corner please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement