Search the forum,

Discuss help with adhesive for large encaustic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

almac39

Hello, I'm a new member and DIYer hoping that you can give me some advice on a tiling job in my new home. I am laying a hall floor with 8" encaustic floor tiles, 21mm thick, apparently originating in a French wine-merchant's chateau (they were quite expensive so I NEED to get this right). They seem to have a porous cementitious base. I have prepped the floor by removing the boards, putting in robust noggings at 500-600 centres between joists (which are approx 300 centres), and overlaying with 18mm exterior grade ply screwed at 150-200 centres. As such the floor is about as rigid as I can get it, feels solid, but is still suspended so there's going to be a element of deflection, I suppose. Not sure to what extent I need to worry about minimal movement?

Can anyone advise me on the best adhesive, bed/joint depth/width, or suggest anything else that I might do to protect the tiles?

I'll be very grateful for responses,

Cheers

Al

Reply to help with adhesive for large encaustic tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen