Search the forum,

Discuss help sticky resin left on the floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

goldenjiffy

This may sound like a really stupid question but i've been asked to tile a kitchen and utility floor with porcelain large format tile which i'm fine with. however there's a black sticky resin thats been left on the floor. I want to know if i can i lay the tiles on this or will i need to lift it. If so any suggestions on how to do this.

Pete

G

goldenjiffy

Re: help

There's a few ceramic tiles left on the floor with a little of the adhesive still on top of the black resin. I can't be certain but i thought it was bitumen. Possibly from a previous flooring.

Peter

O

Olz

Dependant on the thickness of the bitchumen afew people have tiled over it with no problems,

The problems arise when it warms up, eg if you are having UFH or it is exposed to other heat, which can cause it to melt and liquify to an extent, which causes all sorts of problems if you've tiled over it.

W

White Room

If it's thin for vinyls you may be ok but how easy was it to lift of the existing ceramic tiles

G

goldenjiffy

I'm not too sure, the customer lifted the tiles themselves. i'll go round there today and advise him it'll need to come up. better to be safe than sorry i suppose.:hand:

M

MICK the Tiler

it is better to get it off the floor before laying tiles, because if you have problems latter the adhesive manufacturer will not warrent there product.

Reply to help sticky resin left on the floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen