Currently reading:
Help! Mesh showing after grouting glass tile

Discuss Help! Mesh showing after grouting glass tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Debora

Hi All-
i am a homeowner and in the process of a kitchen renovation. Our tiler just installed our backsplash. It is a clear glass tile with a white background on mesh. It's clear on all sides except the back. The tiler used white thinset to install. When he grouted the first area he noticed that the mesh was still visable behind the glass. At first we thought it was the grout we chose-- Bostik diamond grout. So he did a test with standard white grout on some spare tiles and the mesh was still visable. It looks like dotted lines between the tiles.
I didn't have him continue with the rest of the grouting but am now not sure what to do. The manufacturer is saying that he didn't but enough thinset as it would have hid it. Our tiler is very experience and said he layed the tile properly.
Has this happened to anyone? Do you have any recommendations on what to do to rectify it without ripping out the tile?
would be grateful for any-all feed back.
Thanks.

L

Lodger

Most likely a manufacturing fault. As mentioned, If there is clear glass (see through) I can't see how any kind, Quantity or colour of adhesive is going to hide this. The mesh is stuck to the back of mosaic tiles so it's not like the adhesive is going to get between the mosaic and the meshing.
Considering the meshing behind the tile is white, Try and mix some white grout and apply it behind the clear glass mosaic. See if it's less visible!

D

Debora

Most likely a manufacturing fault. As mentioned, If there is clear glass (see through) I can't see how any kind, Quantity or colour of adhesive is going to hide this. The mesh is stuck to the back of mosaic tiles so it's not like the adhesive is going to get between the mosaic and the meshing.
Considering the meshing behind the tile is white, Try and mix some white grout and apply it behind the clear glass mosaic. See if it's less visible!

Thanks. I am having the manufactures rep come by and take a look before we grout the rest. We dd try a test sheet with standard white grout. You could still see through it from the sides. :yikes:

Reply to Help! Mesh showing after grouting glass tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement