Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from a unhappy person who just had there bathroom refitted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

twinkzz

Hi All,

Hope you all are well and can help me with some useful unbiased advice please :)

I just had my bathroom refitted.

It was my first kind of building work in my first house and I choose a builder that a family member had used to complete this refit.

Me being silly listened to my builder when he said you can tile on top off these tiles which were 15 year old ceramic mosaics all was round with 2 off the wall held up by plasterboard secured to plywood.

So there I was happy he thought I could save some money and I had already spend quite a bit on the house and other bits, so listened to himself and he said I should tile on top of the tiles, I also asked him many times will they fall off and would you complete this type off work in your own house he said yes I would, many times.

Now he has finished the job some body told me about load bearing on walls so I did my research which I should have done better before and I around 8kg over per sq/m, as I believe the plasterboard holds 32kg, and the current tiles with 13 kg plus the new tiles at 24 kg.

So my question is will the two plasterboard walls fall does, will tiles fall off randomly and injury anybody?

Also I noticed on the plasterboard wall there is some lipping of the tiles (which are large 600 x 300 tiles) which I though he tried to ensure the tiles don't come off and may have put slight more adhesive on there.

Im pretty sure the brick/rendered walls are fine as they have a heavy load bearing and the tiles actually looks nice on there.

Ive already spent allot of money and this has caused myself a lot of sleepless nights that the tiles will fall, just would like some honest advise pls.

Many Thanks

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Do you know if he used tubbed (ready mixed) or bagged(cement powdered) adehsive to fix the tiles ?

T

twinkzz

TTT thanks for advice- mosaics were solid

Hi Judge - yes he used bal two part flexible I believe and similar on the floor's

S

Stef

It's bad practice to tile on top of tiles but no one can say whether they will fall off the wall or not.
Next time you do work come on here & get a professional tiler recommended from here.
Builders build, Tilers tile.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The weight limits for the substrates are a guideline.Chances are the tiles will be fine.As a professional tiler I wouldnt advise exceeding the weight limit to any substrate .The adehsive he used is fine.Knowbody can tell you if the walls are safe though.Unfortunately,there are lots of people out there that never consider limits when tiling walls.

Reply to Hello from a unhappy person who just had there bathroom refitted in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen