Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from a beginner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kaage

Hello

I thought i would stop by and introduce my self as I have a feeling im going to be hanging around these parts a lot and hopefully getting lots of knowledge off all you guru's on the forum.

I wont bore you with to much detail but the last two years I have been rather ill so I have been off work and the government has kindly offered to pay for training to get me back into work. Before that i was having a disastrous career in IT so I felt a change was in order. Having thought long and hard I decided Tiling could possibly be the thing for me, I have a keen eye for detail and love the feeling when you finish a job and everything looks great. So I started a Wall and Floor tiling course at Leeds College of Building a few weeks ago and I'm loving it!

I did 4 months dry lining as an apprentice 8 years ago and that is the total sum of my construction experience and knowledge so im probably going to have lots of stupid questions so please be patient with me and dont :mad2:

I already have loads of jobs lined up from friends and family but obviously need more time to hone my skills and get more experience.

I do have a few questions that i hope can be answered; I seem to recall a stickied topic that detailed the essential tools that a tiler needs to do a job, however I cant seem to find it. So can someone either point me in the right direction or if im just making that up could someone list what i would need to be able to complete jobs on my own?

Also from what I've gathered so far a laser level seems like a very handy piece of kit so i would love to have one but as im on a budget i cant afford all these fancy £200 ones. However I've managed to track down a very cheap one which looks like its good to me but would like someones opinion on it

Cocraft Cross-Line Laser Level - COCRAFT | Clas Ohlson

Would that do the job well for the time being while im training and for my first few jobs until i can afford something better?

G

Gazzer

I would stick to a real level. Save your money until such a time that is needed. I have managed for 34 years without needing one.
Yes I do have one but its not needed that often.

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome:. As above, save your money, and when you will start getting big/bigger projects, then you buy more expencive tools :thumbsup:.

K

Kaage

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advise on the laser level, ill save my money for gum drops and party rings instead :cool2:

G

Gazzer

A good Stabila or Fatmax level will serve you well and last a lot longer than that laser level.

I

Ian

Welcome along to Tf. I bought a set of stabila levels when I started out, 1800/1200/600/300mm and they are still serving me well, I keep looking at lasers but never bother buying one as the set of levels I have are all I've needed for my work.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

Reply to Hello from a beginner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen