Search the forum,

Discuss Heat resistant tile adhesive in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Franer

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions related to tiling a hearth and the surrounding walls around a large wood burning stove. The walls around the stove will be done with thin stone cladding and the hearth will be done with either sandstone or limestone 35mm slabs. Can I use regular tile adhesive or do I have to use heat resistant one like Vitcas? The Vitcas one is expensive and is pre mixed ready to go so not crazy about using it. Botament has a powdered tile adhesive for "heated areas" but no mention of the temperatures it withstands etc. Also what type of grout for the hearth? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions related to tiling a hearth and the surrounding walls around a large wood burning stove. The walls around the stove will be done with thin stone cladding and the hearth will be done with either sandstone or limestone 35mm slabs. Can I use regular tile adhesive or do I have to use heat resistant one like Vitcas? The Vitcas one is expensive and is pre mixed ready to go so not crazy about using it. Botament has a powdered tile adhesive for "heated areas" but no mention of the temperatures it withstands etc. Also what type of grout for the hearth? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.
I have seen many installers of fire places over the years and I am sure most use sand and cement to fix the hearth with !plus most old fire hearths that were tiled used sand and cement and they still solid 100 years or more after !I'd use sand and cement 4 to 1 mix as waterproof then also !seal underneath of hearth

Reply to Heat resistant tile adhesive in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen