Search the forum,

Discuss Have coated WBP ply with PVA - what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DadHelpingSon

Hi all. As name implies Dad is helping Son with renovating his flat. I built a new wall in the bathroom from WBP ply. Plumber (yes I know, why listen to him) suggested coating the ply with 3-1 PVA. I then used Mapei D1 adhesive. Some tiles are coming loose - fortunately have not done too many yet. Mapei say I shouldn't have used PVA and to sand it off. The forums all confirm not to use PVA. It would be a massive job to sand it all. Is there a product (eg primer) I can apply over the PVA? BAL SBR is mentioned a lot - will it go on top of PVA? I can use another brand of adhesive as the shop will take back the uniopened tubs of Mapei.

Also, I need to tile-on-tile on the kitchen floor. Existing tiles are sound. What prep & adhesive?

C

Colour Republic

You better sit down as i'm guessing you won't like the replies just about to come... sorry

G

grumpygrouter

Hmm ply in a bathroom.... not a good idea! You may be as well to overboard it with tile backerboard and tank it (waterproof) in the wet areas and plasterboard in te dry bits and then tile onto that. Other than that, removing the PVA will be difficult....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Over board it with 6mm Hardibacker perhaps......

D

DadHelpingSon

Tiles are bog-standard "Flat white gloss" 25x33 from Tile giant. Overboarding is not an option as the wall is hard against the bath (which has no room to manoeuvre) at one point so I can't increase the wall thickness without demolishing it and moving it. I'll just have to re-treat the wall somehow whatever it takes.

G

grumpygrouter

Tiles are bog-standard "Flat white gloss" 25x33 from Tile giant. Overboarding is not an option as the wall is hard against the bath (which has no room to manoeuvre) at one point so I can't increase the wall thickness without demolishing it and moving it. I'll just have to re-treat the wall somehow whatever it takes.
Out with the sander it is then! You may want to try to wash as much off first as you can but don't soak the timber then sand it when it is dry.
33x25 tiles are too big for tubbed adhesive anyway, you need to use powdered stuff really.

D

DadHelpingSon

Reply to Have coated WBP ply with PVA - what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen