Currently reading:
Hardy backer 12mm. Is it possible to dot and dab using thickset adhesive?

Discuss Hardy backer 12mm. Is it possible to dot and dab using thickset adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

inspectapart

Hi, I just need some help with fixing 12mm hardy boards. I have ixed the two walls that are studded using drywall screws....seems to be O/K so far. But I have to cover an old brick wall also. I took of the high spots and primed it using ULTRA PRIME FLEXIBLE adhesive DILUTED 3 TO 1. I WAS HOPING TO DOT AND DAB THE BOARDS ON WITH ULTRA PRO RAPID ADHESIVE. What do you think?
The wall is pretty uneven but plumb. 1/2" of dab would allow me to level up I think.
The alternative is to battern out and that would mean a lot of packing out the batterns to get it level.
Hope this makes sense.
Bob

I

inspectapart

I`m totally confused now. I have been told that unplastered plasterboard is fine to tile over??! If that`s the case, why use backerboards at all for ordinary tiles? Also, I thought that water can get through the grout, and if so, this wouldn`t be a good idea would it? And why don`t hardi recomend dot & dab ? I could still screw and plug through the dabs for extra strength maybe?
I might just d&d plasterboard and tank it. I just removed all the old tiles from plasterboard and it wasn`t a pleasant experience. I ended up back at the studding.I thought that baackerboards might allow for easier removal of tiles next time??
Bob

Reply to Hardy backer 12mm. Is it possible to dot and dab using thickset adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.