Currently reading:
Handmade English Terracotta

Discuss Handmade English Terracotta in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi all. I've got a job with these fore-mentioned terracotta floor tiles and wondering which inpregnating/sealing method you finds easiest/least hassle. It's been 17 years since i worked with the stuff!
I'm considering the lithofin modern method.
All input appreciated. Many thanks.

Would not use the stain stop on terracotta, discussion with Marc , was for a external terrace.

Lithofin modern method is for internal, and a nice light finish ,rather than a darker oil and wax. The ease of water based products and mostly the ease in which the client will maintain and top up the floor after you have installed. Used tons of this stuff restoration wise as clients wanted an easy to look after floor.

Generally, lay the tiles , leave to dry until all moisture released( 7-10 days for me, or until fully dry, yes I'm obsessed with drying times)
Saturate 1-2 coats of the impregnator before leaving overnight to cure.
Point in the terracotta , ideal not slurry ,unless a very closed pore- check grout release on two unlaid tiles you can impregnate- for testing
Once this grouting/ pointing is fully dry , depending on depth and width
Re impregnate one coat of the terracotta impreg.
After this has dried, sponge on 2-4 neat coats (maybe more if a really ruff hand made) of the terracotta sealant with a jumbo car sponge, dries in 40 min -1 hour so you will get these on in one day.
No buffing , self sheening
Clients maintain with easy care , and top up when required.
They can use 1/4 bucket of clean water, add a mug of the sealant, mop through leaving a slight wet look, leave to dry - job done , nice and easy.

H

hmtiling

Would not use the stain stop on terracotta, discussion with Marc , was for a external terrace.

Lithofin modern method is for internal, and a nice light finish ,rather than a darker oil and wax. The ease of water based products and mostly the ease in which the client will maintain and top up the floor after you have installed. Used tons of this stuff restoration wise as clients wanted an easy to look after floor.

Generally, lay the tiles , leave to dry until all moisture released( 7-10 days for me, or until fully dry, yes I'm obsessed with drying times)
Point in the terracotta , ideal not slurry ,unless a very closed pore- check grout release on two unlaid tiles you can impregnate- for testing
After this has dried, sponge on 2-4 neat coats (maybe more if a really ruff hand made) of the terracotta sealant with a jumbo car sponge, dries in 40 min -1 hour so you will get these on in one day.
They can use 1/4 bucket of clean water, add a mug of the sealant, mop through leaving a slight wet look, leave to dry - job done , nice and easy.
Thanks for that Bob. Much appreciated!

H

hmtiling

All finished today. The impregnator used as a grout aid made it a piece of cake and the sealant is also very user friendly. Many thanks. View attachment 79111 View attachment 79112
P1020946.JPG

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
What a shame, the water may have whitened the sealer coat before fully cured, we could try one tile ,one coat of sealer and let dry this sometimes will fix this or strip back , dry several days or until fully dry then re impregnate and top coats.
This was definatly water drips from the lady cleaning windows ? Did she use a cleaner, some glass cleaners contain vinegar .

H

hmtiling

What a shame, the water may have whitened the sealer coat before fully cured, we could try one tile ,one coat of sealer and let dry this sometimes will fix this or strip back , dry several days or until fully dry then re impregnate and top coats.
This was definatly water drips from the lady cleaning windows ? Did she use a cleaner, some glass cleaners contain vinegar .
Yes, definitely from cleaning the windows. It's only on the parts of the floor she got wet. I've just text her to see what she used to clean the windows.

F

Flintstone

What about in the real world?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
What about in the real world?

I know people are up against time restraints these days, i totally apreciate this.the above is how I approach these jobs as a contractor myself, also after 22 years of sorting problem floors out for lithofin , i get to see a picture of what can cause problems with different materials, drying times and moisture retention in stone and tiles are the main issue i get with installations. So extended dry times are required with some products, most will never cause you a problem , some can!
I would never state the above are set guide lines , they are purely my own rules for my jobs,

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Can appreciate this pjc , when I first started i only used oils and waxes and yes these are far cheaper, from my restoration clients they wanted ease of maintenance , didn't want to hand wax large areas every few months, so the modern products from us or others LTP etc can take this away. Emulsion waxes can be diluted and mopped through by client, self sheening, no buffing . Also the make up of these product far exceeds oil / staining ,so protection is greater against contamination. I suppose if the client is willing to pay from the start to have these products applied / and possible extended labour then this will benefit them long term . for your initial install, the price factor may be greater to you/ them and effect winning the job over others.

Reply to Handmade English Terracotta in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement