Discuss Hairline cracks in tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

-=HaZ=-

TF
Reaction score
I would just like to see if anyone could give me any advice on why this may be happening with tiles I installed a year ago

I installed a bathroom with ceramic tiles which the customer decided on. I have had a nightmare with them as people ever since on the most annoying little things which I've lost it with them really.

When I was there the other week I retiled the window will for them after they had a bit of work done. I grouted as you do after doing the work and also grouted the corners for them at their request. When doing this I noticed small hairline cracks in a few tiles down by the I outside wall but on the solid brick wall between the bathroom and bedroom. I only noticed them as I was using cement grout so the colour stuck in the tiles

My question is basically what kind of reasons behind it doing this?

My idea is movement of the house as they live in a village and the house backs onto fields so the house gets hit with wind a lot. The floor is actually 2 inches different height from one side of the room to the other.

I know that when I did the job that if they had issues with hairline cracks then that would have shown when I grouted as it is a dark colour and would of been visible as it was last week.

I don't want to keep saying I will go and sort something as they have annoyed me, the builder, the plumber and electricians more than anyone else has. I have actually found since all these people have been in they have had other electricians and builders in to do workwork
They are definitely getting charged for me going to sort it out as I believe its down to movement and not my work as like I say if of seen the cracks

Sorry for the rant

-=HaZ=-

TF
Reaction score
You say they have had work done . Is it structural .
I wouldn't pin your hopes on wind its not the three little pigs.
I'm not sure what work they have had done. I just know they have had more builders in after the first lot got sick, even walking away without final payments

I just can't see how 4or5 tiles have now got a few hairline cracks when they didn't when installed

D

Dumbo

Could be adhesive bed to deep and then shrink back on drying .
Its not just a simple thing .
You need to tell how you fixed what the background is and you need to find out what they've had done .

D

Dumbo

Maybe you should take a look at the wall in the bedroom if that is cracked all to hell . There is you get out of jail card if its not you are going to have to get into this a bit deeper .

Reaction score
I would just like to see if anyone could give me any advice on why this may be happening with tiles I installed a year ago

I installed a bathroom with ceramic tiles which the customer decided on. I have had a nightmare with them as people ever since on the most annoying little things which I've lost it with them really.

When I was there the other week I retiled the window will for them after they had a bit of work done. I grouted as you do after doing the work and also grouted the corners for them at their request. When doing this I noticed small hairline cracks in a few tiles down by the I outside wall but on the solid brick wall between the bathroom and bedroom. I only noticed them as I was using cement grout so the colour stuck in the tiles

My question is basically what kind of reasons behind it doing this?

My idea is movement of the house as they live in a village and the house backs onto fields so the house gets hit with wind a lot. The floor is actually 2 inches different height from one side of the room to the other.

I know that when I did the job that if they had issues with hairline cracks then that would have shown when I grouted as it is a dark colour and would of been visible as it was last week.

I don't want to keep saying I will go and sort something as they have annoyed me, the builder, the plumber and electricians more than anyone else has. I have actually found since all these people have been in they have had other electricians and builders in to do workwork
They are definitely getting charged for me going to sort it out as I believe its down to movement and not my work as like I say if of seen the cracks

Sorry for the rant

Reaction score
where the cracks have appeared does it look likes the 2 joining walls have been prized apart if so i'd swing more towards movement in the house not your work

Reply to Hairline cracks in tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks