Search the forum,

Discuss had to leave job in cumbria in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM Ceramics

as some of you know i started a job in ulverston cumbria last week but last night we pulled off the job. the job contained

1 room pebble mosaic( completed)
2nd room limestone (completed)
3rd room kitchen glass mosaic which was completed
4th room limestone in shower room(not completed)
and slate balcony (not completed)

myself and another member of this forum pete went to look at job and the builder said if we complete the work and grout the kitchen floor and seal then he would pay £3500 which we agreed the other tiling was previously done by a joiner who is his son in law. and we asked at the end of the week can we have some money which he was not to happy about he said he never asks for any money until a job is complete.

it came to the end of the week he said he would drop some money off which he didnt so we had to drive 20 minutes to his house to pick it up.

there were 2 bathrooms already completed by the joiner and we was told to grout and seal them he said include that in the extra cost which we didnt agree. the rooms that had been tiled already we polished limestone which hadnt been sealed before being laid and nearly every tile was stained we were told by the builder to get the floor spotless.

im going on holiday next tue so i had really 2 weeks on the job and it could have been completed however with all these extras and the lack of materials on site it didnt seem possible ( this builder said everything would
on site last night we counted the tiles and we were 7 m2 short and they were imported so i can imagine they would take a while to deliver after a long hard chat last night we decided to call it a day and come home.

its the first time i have had to leave a job but i will not work for people who take me for a mug and he was adamant that we would not part with a penny till the job was fully compelted including grouting the joiners work.
i took this job on for experienced it sounded like a nice job. im feeling abit down at the moment,

did i do the right thing i suppose with going away next week which he was aware of

L

LM Ceramics

£500 wasnt too bad it could have been worse like i said ive never had to walk of a job before im gonna put it down to experience go on holiday then when i come back and cary on as normal

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i have come across this situation before also,,and learned that a 3500 job is a big one to me so i would be asking for some money at the end of ther week also mate.in regards to him telling you to do extra work and give you no extra money for it then that is not on at all.if you both felt you no longer wanted to work for this builder then there must be a reason for that.so you clearly done the right thing,,youll pick yourself back up mate:thumbsup::thumbsup:stick in

L

LM Ceramics

thanks lads for your comments it was a new experience working away and i wont be doing it again unless i have to plenty of local work anyway.

i tried it and it didnt work out so time to move on

B

brian c

Builders again eh?I have also experienced these type of problems on jobs for builders and since when did joiners become tilers?(that old chesnut again,he probably was telling you that you werent tiling properly )i really wish these guys would stick to carpentry.The other route you can take is to take him to the small claims court but you might not want the stress,however he does owe you money.Iwould send him an invoice and tell him he has 30 days to pay or you will seek legal advice(which i would do anyway)Think twice the next time when you come across this situation and get the terms on paper .Good luck m8.....Bri

L

LM Ceramics

i will do brian as i say its all experience yes the joiner did fault our work but not mine (im not just saying that)

F

Fekin

Sorry to hear it all went south mate, but as you may remember I had a bad feeling about this job when you first mentioned it a while back... what with it being quite far away and why couldn't he get a tiler closer to home struck bells.

As you say, experiance, and a bit of cash so it's not a total lost cause.

Try to have a good holiday :thumbsup:

Reply to had to leave job in cumbria in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen