Search the forum,

Discuss Gypsum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave_ave

Hi,

I'm going to tile a bathroom, putting the tiles on bare plasterboard.

When a product says use on gypsum, do they mean the plasterboard or the plaster (which often has gypsum written on it) or is it the same thing?

I'm using Mapei Mapegum around the shower, but it says use Primer G first if the surface is gypsum based.

Sorry to sound dull!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kent tiler

try some wba mate or even use primer and then score the walls with a krife befor hand then tile put a small hand fall of sand in to pva with some water roller it on 5-1 mix let it go then tile or if :deal::47: try it mate i use wba sand pva :8:a lot of the time on ald plaster board for skiming at the pub for lunch

C

Colour Republic

WBA is not suitable, neither is PVA mate. Even more so in a shower area.

Have a search on the forum as to why not :thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to tile a bathroom, putting the tiles on bare plasterboard.

When a product says use on gypsum, do they mean the plasterboard or the plaster (which often has gypsum written on it) or is it the same thing?

I'm using Mapei Mapegum around the shower, but it says use Primer G first if the surface is gypsum based.

Sorry to sound dull!

If you are tiling to plasterboard you would generally be sticking the tiles to paper cos the gypsum is the white stuff between the paper. If it is skimmed then that is usually gysum plaster. If it is not skimmed it will often be kointed and the jointing compounds again are often gypsum based so there is no getting away from it really.

Reply to Gypsum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I'm attempting a bit of diy tiling in my kitchen whilst off work. I've pulled off...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys i’m going to be tiling over skimmed plaster walls in a kitchen for first time. (first...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen