Currently reading:
Gypsum screed in a wetroom?

Discuss Gypsum screed in a wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I'm on a new house at the moment, 100m of 900x450 porcelain, onto a sand and cement screed. This is phase one, I haven't been asked to price for the bathrooms (Yet)
For some reason, the rest of the house has a gypsum screed, including 3 of the 4 bathrooms. These are not that common over here, but I thought this type of screed was not suitable in a bathroom (one room is a wetroom!!)????
What advice should I arm myself with for when I am asked to quote for them? What prep work is needed? I guess they will need fully tanked? with a paint on tanking? If a membrane, what to stick it to the screed with?

A rip out will be a last resort as it has wet ufh too
tia

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Gypsum screed is not suitable for areas where it will remain permanently wet so itis ok for a bathroom provided it is dried and then kept dry. My advice is be to make certain that once it is dry use a tanking membrane to waterproof it from the top.

I thinki would use ditra in this sort of area as well or something of that nature.

Do you know which gypsum screed itis. There are several in Ireland.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Is this your first gypsum screed you've come across? Yet to see one here myself, be it for tiling or just in general flooring. Hoping they don't catch on here - sounds like a lot of headache.

You are too late..... There are at least six suppliers now in ireland

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
it'd still need priming though wouldn't it Alan?

Now that is a good question. On the basis that the tanking membrane is water proof so will not allow the migration of moisture borne sulphates which is largely what causes the issues I would assume that it would act as a primer. However I am not sure how a tanking membrane should be used once applied. If you wold normally prime before taking the still do so. If you would normally prime after tanking again still do so. If however you would not normally prime when tanking then it should not be necessary....... Hmmmm! Time for a lesson myself methinks. Every days a school day eh!

Reply to Gypsum screed in a wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.