Search the forum,

Discuss Gypsum screed in a wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm on a new house at the moment, 100m of 900x450 porcelain, onto a sand and cement screed. This is phase one, I haven't been asked to price for the bathrooms (Yet)
For some reason, the rest of the house has a gypsum screed, including 3 of the 4 bathrooms. These are not that common over here, but I thought this type of screed was not suitable in a bathroom (one room is a wetroom!!)????
What advice should I arm myself with for when I am asked to quote for them? What prep work is needed? I guess they will need fully tanked? with a paint on tanking? If a membrane, what to stick it to the screed with?

A rip out will be a last resort as it has wet ufh too
tia

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Gypsum screed is not suitable for areas where it will remain permanently wet so itis ok for a bathroom provided it is dried and then kept dry. My advice is be to make certain that once it is dry use a tanking membrane to waterproof it from the top.

I thinki would use ditra in this sort of area as well or something of that nature.

Do you know which gypsum screed itis. There are several in Ireland.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No, I'm not sure which it is, but I can find out.
I thought about Ditra, what to stick it down with though?? A gypsum addy i guess would be best underneath, but will be very hard to source over here.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the screed is dry and you use a tanking membrane you will stop any sulphate migration so you will be able to stick the ditra down using a cement based flexible adhesive

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
[video=youtube;TjJHnKw7YNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJHnKw7YNA[/video]

I love that song. And as for my mate Fred and his bird Rita.....well that is Just class

P

Peter

Is this your first gypsum screed you've come across? Yet to see one here myself, be it for tiling or just in general flooring. Hoping they don't catch on here - sounds like a lot of headache.

D

DHTiling

They are very popular over here now.

I have done 4 large ones in past 18 months And another in July. So get educated , they ain't going away.

D

doug boardley

If the screed is dry and you use a tanking membrane you will stop any sulphate migration so you will be able to stick the ditra down using a cement based flexible adhesive
it'd still need priming though wouldn't it Alan?

Reply to Gypsum screed in a wetroom? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen