Search the forum,

Discuss Gypsum based tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I did a floor with GBTA (from Creative Impressions) a couple of months ago and took a few pics along the way and thought I'd share them with you all.

A bit of background on this particular floor first.

It was pumped in on April 22nd (2011) at a thickness of 50mm and left to dry for 3 months (longer than necessary but one floor was a basement which held the moisture more than expected when tested with a hygrometer), when we were satisfied that it was dry enough the heating was commissioned and the laitence (which was minimal) was sanded off using a mechanical sander with a metal abrasive pad,

GBTA & anhydrite 011.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 012.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 013.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 014.jpg

This process removed the laitence and created a lot of dust! It was then hoovered very thoroughly ready to be primed.

ALWAYS WEAR A DUST MASK AND VENTILATE THE AREA YOU ARE WORKING IN!!!

After sanding and hoovering the area to be tiled was then given a 1st coat of the GBLC primer 24 hours before tiling was due to commence.

GBTA & anhydrite 018.jpg

Once the first coat was fully cured a, second coat was required however, this was to be done in smaller sections (5 m2 at a time) and was tiled on whilst still tacky.

GBTA & anhydrite 015.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 016.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 017.jpg

The adhesive itself was very easy to use and had a reasonable pot life (30-40 mins), one thing I will say is that when mixed in the bucket to the correct ratios, it looked too wet but, when troweled out held its ridges and didn't slump at all. With a 10mm round notch and back skimming I was getting between 5-6 m2 from a 25kg bag.

GBTA & anhydrite 020.jpg GBTA & anhydrite 021.jpg

Anyone who has never prepped and tiled on a gypsum floor and are wary of them, I will say that if you follow the recommended curing times, prep the floor in the correct manner and tile using the appropriate products, you have nothing to fear. These floors are becoming very common now so, you will all have to face them sooner or later!

S

Spud

What was the cost per m2 of the prep materials and the adhesive compared to a normal screed Job Bri and did the screed company organise the sanding or was that down to you as in europe this is always the responsibility of the screeding company not the tiler

I

Ian

The sander was supplied by the screeding company but, we (the client and myself) did the sanding. The cost in comparison to a sand and cement screed would be quite a bit more, I would say that, based on primer and adhesive, a cement screed would be around £3 per m and using these products would be £6/7 per m.

S

Spud

I was always told that the sanding should be done as soon as possible after screeding as the longer its left the harder it is to remove the laitence and reveal the aggregate,Ive never tiled on a low laitence gypsum screed, what's the benefit of this over to conventional gypsum screed ?

I

Ian

I was always told that the sanding should be done as soon as possible after screeding as the longer its left the harder it is to remove the laitence and reveal the aggregate,Ive never tiled on a low laitence gypsum screed, what's the benefit of this over to conventional gypsum screed ?

This was the 1st one I've ever done Gary and to be honest it was a steep learning curve, the laitence on these low laitence screeds is so minimal that the purpose of the sanding process is just to give the surface a key. I was given a lot of expert advice along the way from Alan Jackson (Ajax) and Sabo from Creative Impressions. The laitence was sanded early on (4 weeks I think) by the client but, only by hand, the mechanical sanding was done as a belt and braces back up as the plasterers had been in and 2 months had passed since the original sand.

D

DHTiling

Unless the screeder over wets them , then it becomes harder.. just the friable i am on about..

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you are mechanically removing the laitence and priming - can you not just use your regular cement based addy of choice?

G

Gazzer

You can according to some adhesive manufacturers spec but you have to be 101% sure with the priming.
Gypfix or GBTA seems a better way for me.

I

Ian

If you are mechanically removing the laitence and priming - can you not just use your regular cement based addy of choice?

I did a couple of sample tiles on a primed area, one stuck with GBTA and one stuck with flexible cement based, then left them for 3 days. The GBTA needed a hammer and chisel to get it up and the cement based needed a wallpaper scraper! So yes some manufactures claim cement based can be used but for me, no way I'll take the risk

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I did a couple of sample tiles on a primed area, one stuck with GBTA and one stuck with flexible cement based, then left them for 3 days. The GBTA needed a hammer and chisel to get it up and the cement based needed a wallpaper scraper! So yes some manufactures claim cement based can be used but for me, no way I'll take the risk

That is pretty typical of my experience as well.

Reply to Gypsum based tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Another First for UK Tiling Forum; Crossing the 1 Million Posts Mark Soon It appears the other...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen