Currently reading:
Gypsum based tile adhesive.

Discuss Gypsum based tile adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Not sure how easy it will be to get the weber stuff but if you give them a call and speak to Mark Birch. Tell him you been speaking to Alan at Lafarge. If you struggle with them speak to Creative Impressions.

Norcross are also looking to develop their Unique product for floors as well. Not much use to you in the immediate term but will be another to add to the list.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I have not seen any failures with the creative impressions stuff. That has been around for at least 5 years. Dexters made the same gear before that (sadly they went bust) never saw any issues with that one either.

Only seen the weber gear used once in the UK and it has gone fantastic. They sell tonnes of it in France. My counterparts in France have been "encouraging" the use of gypsum based adhesives in Europe for several years. They used to get loads of failures just like us over here. When people started to use Gypsum the failures pretty much dissapeared. Not saying there have been no failures - i guess there must have been some - I am not aware of any though.

The only thing I get fed back to me on the gypsum addys is that the open life on the floor is quite short....pot life typically 45 minutes and don't spread any more than you can lay tiles in about 10 to 15 minutes. In other words you have to work quick and clean.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The recomendations are that the adhesive should not be used in areas where it can become wet. The same recomendation is made about anhydrite screeds. The key issue here is areas where it "can become wet". From the screeds point of view this means that it must be covered with a water proof covering e.g. a vynil, tile, tanking membrane etc. My general recomendation for normal bathrooms would be to use a tanking system or a liquid DPM to protect the screed from becoming wet. you would then be able to use a cement based adhesive. Wet rooms are usually laid to falls and so ahnydrite would not normally be used here. If a tanking membrane is not to be used then you would have to rely on the grout joints being sealed. This is the reason I do not like to see Gyvlon used in communal shower areas where the floor covering is tiles. All that said I have seen loads of bathrooms tiled over Gyvlon without issue. I am going to be badgering Sab at creative impressions over the next few days to see how he feels about the bathroom scenario.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I would not be tanking the kitchen or the utility.

The rules on using DPM's on Gyvlon screeds are that the screed should be unheated, below 87%RH (1.5% moisture) and at least 28 days old. NOw these rules have been set up based on the testing that Lafarge Gyvlon have carried out on their screed. I am not aware of any other manufacturers who have done this work so as far as I am concerned it applies to Gyvlon only. The rules are designed to take account of the fact that floor coverings often have to go down before the screed is dry. i.e. to entrap the residual moisture.

The need for a DPM is largely irrelevent on a heated screed because the heating can be used to force dry the screed pretty dashed quickly so there would be no need to use a DPM to suppress the residual moisture.

However if the screed is dry i.e. below 75% RH (0.5% moisture) then the use of a tanking membrane would be ok regardless of whether the screed is heated or not. Indeed I always suggest to main contractors using the gear in commercial kitchens that they dry the screed and then apply a DPM. This is not to trap moisture in the screed but to keep it out. It would become a floor covering in its own right effectively.

Clear as mud I guess.......

Reply to Gypsum based tile adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.