Search the forum,

Discuss Grout not uniform colour in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hmtiling

For me with porc I'm edging towards Ultra. 3000 give more time to play but ultra seems to suit me the best being somewhere in between 3000 and ucp.

O

One Day

Can't get ultra round these parts. Strangely, can't really get tm either, even though it's made locally!

bansko

TF
Reaction score
Had the same problem with mapei grouts for years ie drying patchy. Next time try giving the bag a good shake to ensure it's thoroughly mixed prior to using it. We have been using grout supplied by porcelanosa recently which is actually mapei ultracolor plus slightly modified by porcelanosa, we mentioned problems with shade difference and we measure the water content with every mix. The rep says the contents of the bag should be mixed thoroughly prior to mixing, I never knew this but give it a try there's nowt to lose.

Reaction score
I thought giving the bag a good shake was part of the mixing instructions? it's something I have always done with all grout and must have seen it on a bag somewhere.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
I thought giving the bag a good shake was part of the mixing instructions? it's something I have always done with all grout and must have seen it on a bag somewhere.
Not something I have done, having said that I don't do much grouting, 95 per cent of my work is commercial and very large floors and the grouting is done for me. On the occasions I do grout especially with ultracolor plus I mix it as per the recommended water content but have never shaken the bag, it's opened and straight n the bucket.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had the same problem with mapei grouts for years ie drying patchy. Next time try giving the bag a good shake to ensure it's thoroughly mixed prior to using it. We have been using grout supplied by porcelanosa recently which is actually mapei ultracolor plus slightly modified by porcelanosa, we mentioned problems with shade difference and we measure the water content with every mix. The rep says the contents of the bag should be mixed thoroughly prior to mixing, I never knew this but give it a try there's nowt to lose.

Only needed if using a part bag. Though must admit I do it even when using full bags.

K

Kevbos

I've found that the problems with patchy grout colouration !have been occurring since they changed the additives in grouts and adhesives to prevent dermatitis.mix grouts up thick not runny .don't over wash . and with a lot of tiles wash them down and get film off them .

Reaction score
Had exactly this problem with Micromax2 gunmetal grout in a kitchen splashback at the start of the year. In exasperation I ripped off the tiles and redid it.

Retailer suggested it was over hydration (too much water in mix or overwashing). Saw BAL rep a few months later, and they advised that some porcs are known to cause this even when the mix is correct - they suggest washing over the grout again as it starts to dry patchy. I wondered if it was because I used an old bag (over 12 months old). The tiles in my job tiles were bog standard metro ceramics.

Its good to read some feedback from others who have had this problem with MM2.

Reply to Grout not uniform colour in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen