Search the forum,

Discuss Grout fix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sub50

I have been asked to quote for commercial premesis where the grout on the shower tiles has become black with mould.

My initial thought is to remove the old grout with a fein, treat the grove with a mould killer solution, re-grout and then seal.

The cleaners have been scrubbing at the grout in an effort to clean and this has resulted in the grout being partly removed and so the grove between the tile is certainly deep enough to take new grout without removing the old.

Could I therefore use a mould treatment and simply re-grout?

What would you charge pre linear metre for this?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

hi SUB50,my advice would be to use a mould and water repellent grout such as MAPEI Ultracolour plus.I would also charge your day rate x whatever you think it will take...hope this hepls m8....Bri:thumbsup:

S

sub50

Thanks for the reply

Would you remove the grout first?

Take it you would use a fein, or similar if you were?

T

TilingLogistics

I have been asked to quote for commercial premesis where the grout on the shower tiles has become black with mould.

My initial thought is to remove the old grout with a fein, treat the grove with a mould killer solution, re-grout and then seal.

The cleaners have been scrubbing at the grout in an effort to clean and this has resulted in the grout being partly removed and so the grove between the tile is certainly deep enough to take new grout without removing the old.

You can do what you have suggested but the black mould will probably reoccur. There is a misconception that black mould starts on the surface of the grout and this in the main is not true. The spores grow under the grout so generally the mould is usually attached to the back of the grout and consequently to the substrate.

Provided the tiles are ceramic or porcelain and therefore not acid sensitive I would approach the problem as follows:

1. I would rake all the grout out.
2. I would treat all the grout with phosphoric acid.
3. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Then clean all the grout lines and tiles with Heavy Duty Tile & Grout cleaner.
5. Check all tiles are secure and fix where necessary.
6. Treat the grout lines with anti mould.
7. Regrout using a good quality grout with microban usually Mapei or BAL.

Then as a final step I would paint all the grout with Aqua Mix Grout Colourant which is an epoxy colourant and will ensure the grout remains totally waterproof in the future.:thumbsup:

Kev

G

Gazebo

You can do what you have suggested but the black mould will probably reoccur. There is a misconception that black mould starts on the surface of the grout and this in the main is not true. The spores grow under the grout so generally the mould is usually attached to the back of the grout and consequently to the substrate.

Provided the tiles are ceramic or porcelain and therefore not acid sensitive I would approach the problem as follows:

1. I would rake all the grout out.
2. I would treat all the grout with phosphoric acid.
3. Rinse thoroughly.
4. Then clean all the grout lines and tiles with Heavy Duty Tile & Grout cleaner.
5. Check all tiles are secure and fix where necessary.
6. Treat the grout lines with anti mould.
7. Regrout using a good quality grout with microban usually Mapei or BAL.

Then as a final step I would paint all the grout with Aqua Mix Grout Colourant which is an epoxy colourant and will ensure the grout remains totally waterproof in the future.:thumbsup:

Kev

Hi Kev,

what is this Aqua mix grout colourant exactley.?

cheers
Gary.:8:

W

White Room

It's a treatment for colouring the grout, It usually has two coats applied. A mate of mine used it and was impressed

D

David - Tradetiler

will be stocking Aqua Mix grout colourant in a range of colours very soon

plus most the rest of the Aqua Mix range too

Reply to Grout fix in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen