Search the forum,

Discuss Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

I have my grinder the other way. Blade on the left and yes it does make a mess of the floor and your leg. I've had a wet leg today. For me the beauty of the grinder is its manoverability and its convenience etc, I think putting a hoover in the equation might cancel that out!

O

Old Mod

Better still. Theres a video
Start the other end and pull it thro the tile. Blade cuts right way and dust is thrown away from you.
If the grinder snags, it comes toward you and your instinct will grip it tighter.
It's much safer and that's how the majority of stone guys use them.
I've been using a grinder Ike that for over 10 years now and it's much better once you get the hang of it.
And it's easier to see your cut line.
Not being able to see the guard close up in the video, I can't quite tell what you can and can't see, but you'd just have to compensate with tha marking of your tile so that you can run the guard along it.

T

Tile Shop

Start the other end and pull it thro the tile. Blade cuts right way and dust is thrown away from you.
If the grinder snags, it comes toward you and your instinct will grip it tighter.
It's much safer and that's how the majority of stone guys use them.
I've been using a grinder Ike that for over 10 years now and it's much better once you get the hang of it.
And it's easier to see your cut line.
Not being able to see the guard close up in the video, I can't quite tell what you can and can't see, but you'd just have to compensate with tha marking of your tile so that you can run the guard along it.

I'll give it a go. Stick some gogs on and try without the guard, see how i get on. From your experience will it still collect all the dust with a vacuum attached or will some still be lost downwards?

O

Old Mod

I'll give it a go. Stick some gogs on and try without the guard, see how i get on. From your experience will it still collect all the dust with a vacuum attached or will some still be lost downwards?

Not tried that way with dust collector tbh, but it's certainly a better way to cut all round.
And it will push all the dust forwards, yes.
You can do it one handed and hold a vacuum in front of you, but that takes a little more practise :D:p

T

Tile Shop

Well.... practice is something i can get plenty of. Got my kitchen to do before xmas and the skirting in the conservatory still to do.

Our fridge freezer packed up so the landord thought it'd be a good idea to get that and the unit ripped out so a free standing one could go in its place....... the wall behind is a fookin mess and theres a hole in the floor covering. So they're letting me loose on tiling the walls and the floor.

20161126_130310.jpg

Reply to Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen