Search the forum,

Discuss Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

This is probably going to seem like a very stupid question, but I gotta ask, because i've seen something that goes completely against something else i was taught a while back.

When grinding a tile, I always make sure that the blade spins down onto the tile. I was told years ago that if the the blade spun upwards, it can lift the glaze or cause chipping. It would also throw dust up in the air instead of down to the floor.

But the genesis dust extractor, requires that the blade spins upward to unsure the dust is directed to the exhaust port...... surely meaning the cut won't be as clean?

Confuzzled and would like your thoughts.

Ta

F

Flintstone

Depends on the way your cutting it, a cutter with a wheel mounted on the bottom which cuts from the back of the tile, they don't chip the tile.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have the festool grinder and that cuts upwards also I always scribe a line first if I use it but I've not used it that much

T

Tile Shop

I always have it the other way (blade on the left) so the dust is thrown under the tile, but concious of the dusty mess it leaves. Thats why i'm looking for something like this.

Reply to Grinding confusion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen