Search the forum,

Discuss Greedy builders. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

I do quite a lot of work for a builder, and the way it works is he gets me to liaise with the customer about there tiling, the customer always supplies tiles and i supply addy and grout etc and i bill the builder when i finish. The last job i did came too £2100.00 anyway i bumped into the customer today and she said she was a bit surprised about my bill...OHH i said she said £5,000 seemed a lot.....well my jaw nearly hit the floor, what could i say this builder gives me loads of work so i couldn't say anything it just made me mad :furious3: made me look greedy. I'm happy what he pays me and i cant believe these builders charge us out at so much, bearing in mind this builder did nothing.

F

faithhealer

Good job we don't swear on this forum. Make a living not a killing was my motto but that builder will be retiring a lot earlier than the rest of us .

E

enduro

Good job we don't swear on this forum. Make a living not a killing was my motto but that builder will be retiring a lot earlier than the rest of us .
He drives a brand new range rover sport, lives in a huge house, employes 30 full time guys and has loads of work...How do they do it, given me a months work in jan tiling a huge oast house they are refurbing so cant complain.

B

BDS

Yeah but the problem is mate that customer thinks your too expensive (cos he doesn`t know the truth) and when he tells anybody who listens which he will the end result isn`t good for you,but if your still getting work from the builder thats ok but be a bit peed of not the fact about the money but the reputation

E

enduro

Yeah but the problem is mate that customer thinks your too expensive (cos he doesn`t know the truth) and when he tells anybody who listens which he will the end result isn`t good for you,but if your still getting work from the builder thats ok but be a bit peed of not the fact about the money but the reputation
Well they probably have an idea as i tiled similar area for there friends and that was direct for them not through a builder.

B

BDS

Rock and a hard place springs to mind mate,cant tell them the truth cos it could affect work from builder,dont tell customers and they think your expensive:huh2: rather you than me.

F

FreeD

Wouldn't say it was gready m8 just business...just need to get ure self a step up the ladder. Most builders whack on 30 - 50% or more. And how does he do it? Prob pays the architects nice bonuses! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

Wouldn't say it was gready m8 just business...just need to get ure self a step up the ladder. Most builders whack on 30 - 50% or more. And how does he do it? Prob pays the architects nice bonuses! ;)
No its greedy thats 140% he added on, i have had my own buisness for 25 years and never ever added that amount on any trade.

F

Fekin

I would have said that £5000 wasn't my price to the builder, it's the builders price to you.

Reply to Greedy builders. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen