Search the forum,

Discuss Got to tile over OSB3, help! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, got to tile the floor of a small ( 12 ms ) new kitchen extension. The builders put down 18mm OSB3, glued and screwed, it ain’t coming up!
Obviously would have liked plywood. What do you recommend as my best option, overboard with hardibacker, 6mm ply, or use a decoupler like Ditra?
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Nick

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Many many many years ago I tiled a mates floor on OSB3 being none the wiser. He was short of tiles so it didn't get grouted for ages and when I went back there was lippage everywhere as the board had warped like crazy. That's why they invented caberdeck chipboard for flooring. Builder should take it up. It will come up but won't be easy. It'll remind him in future to do more research. It's not fair on the customer either.

Reaction score
:)Anything put over the top can still have problems in the future, as mentioned above taking up is gonna be full proof, then lay something that cannot swell in the future, option of taking up 5 boards or chance taking everything up in the future, lots of situations come to risk factor!!!

Reaction score
:)
Many many many years ago I tiled a mates floor on OSB3 being none the wiser. He was short of tiles so it didn't get grouted for ages and when I went back there was lippage everywhere as the board had warped like crazy. That's why they invented caberdeck chipboard for flooring. Builder should take it up. It will come up but won't be easy. It'll remind him in future to do more research. It's not fair on the customer either.
Thanks for that Faceman, I’ll have a word with the builder and see if anything can be done

Reply to Got to tile over OSB3, help! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen