Discuss Good Water resistant thick bed floor adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Sam2494

Hi,

Currently in the middle of renovating an old property, dug up old quarry's and self levelled! Still out by 10/15mm in spots so looking for a waterproof thick bed adhesive. Needs to be water resistant due to do DPM, have used ardex NA for Self levelling as moisture resistant.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

OP
R

Rookery

All cement based tile adhesive is water-resistant not water proof. For thick bed I use BAL PTB or Weber Thick Bed, depending on where the job is.

OP
S

Sam2494

Well after speaking direct with Ardex & Mapei both said that because we were tiling the subfloor a DPM is not necessarily needed, as long as moisture resistant self levelling is used! The floor will breathe through grout joints.

OP
S

Sam2494

Sorry I wasn't asking that the adhesive to be waterproof from damp or to create a waterproof barrier I meant the adhesive needs to be water resistant so t won't break down when in contact with the moisture, I know most adhesives out the bag are unaffected by water

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Well after speaking direct with Ardex & Mapei both said that because we were tiling the subfloor a DPM is not necessarily needed, as long as moisture resistant self levelling is used! The floor will breathe through grout joints.

It's a fundamental requirement in habitable buildings to have a suitable damp proof membrane to prevent moisture entering the building from the ground. Ground moisture may also contain mineral ground salts these can potentially cause adhesive failure. It's your call of course.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
This is why your floor was tiled with a quarry tile.... It's a natural tile with no glaze and allows the floor to breath.
What tiles were you thinking of putting down?

OP
H

hmtiling

It's a fundamental requirement in habitable buildings to have a suitable damp proof membrane to prevent moisture entering the building from the ground. Ground moisture may also contain mineral ground salts these can potentially cause adhesive failure. It's your call of course.
Not the case with lime screeds

OP
S

Sam2494

Yes I know the quarry's were there because they are a breathable covering, yes it is fundamental in new builds and builds over the last 50 years however I'm working on a 1940/30's property so no integral DPM under the floor slab, used slate for internal dpc of walls and 2 course of blues for external!

We are laying porcelain tiles throughout (yes I know they aren't breathable) however after speaking with Ardex & Mapei technical departments both said exactly the same, no need to use a DPM, only real need for DPM is with timber & vinyl floors. Even with us laying porcelain floor will breathe through grout joints & eventually moisture will make its way through. Cement based adhesives will not be effected by damp they both told me along with Ardex NA self levelling. Natural salts in the ground may cause some essofflerecent coming through grout however chance of this is unlikely.

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Yes I know the quarry's were there because they are a breathable covering, yes it is fundamental in new builds and builds over the last 50 years however I'm working on a 1940/30's property so no integral DPM under the floor slab, used slate for internal dpc of walls and 2 course of blues for external!

We are laying porcelain tiles throughout (yes I know they aren't breathable) however after speaking with Ardex & Mapei technical departments both said exactly the same, no need to use a DPM, only real need for DPM is with timber & vinyl floors. Even with us laying porcelain floor will breathe through grout joints & eventually moisture will make its way through. Cement based adhesives will not be effected by damp they both told me along with Ardex NA self levelling. Natural salts in the ground may cause some essofflerecent coming through grout however chance of this is unlikely.

Crystallasion of salts often causes swelling and forces thus generated can cause adhesive failure. ( especially with a relatively impervious tile) . Unlikely l know, nevertheless possible.

OP
S

Sam2494

But with moisture being able to breathe and make its way through grout joints this is unlikely to happen, like you say not impossible though.

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Salts will accumulate where moisture is evaporating e.g. They come out of solution and crystallise, on or near the evaporating surface.

OP
S

Sam2494

Yes Ardex technical advised that salts could cause essofflerecent as like you say they will accumulate when they make there way through the grout joints,however the chances are highly unlikely unless we live near a lot of waste land where salts in the ground will be high.

My view was to use a epoxy DPM however both Ardex & Mapei said not to waste the money as like I've said before they said it's not necessary if tiling the floor.

OP
D

Dumbo

I know going to get into Dpm or not but salts are in the ground pretty much everywhere that is why you have to replaster when putting in a new silicone dpc because when your wall got wet with rising damp salts will have migrated with the damp into your plaster . Then after having your dpc replaced you would still get damp readings in your wall if you didn't replace plaster as salts would attract moisture in the air much in the same way your salt cellar nozzle gets blocked. So long and short is you will get salts .

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
liquid DPMs are only designed to deal with residual moisture not rising damp where the relative hydrostatic pressure can cause osmotic swelling under the DPM and ultimately failure. some sort of breathable or moisture stabilising membrane woudlbe better such as some of the drainage membranes from John Newton Ltd and such likes. Perhaps Ditra.

Obviously the correct way to proceed would be to take up the existing floor and install a suitable DPM but this relies on the DPM being integrated with and DPM in the walls which is not present will force the moisture into the walls. I've done my fare share of Victorian house renovations in the past and found that if you cannot live with what is already there i.e. the quarry tiles...then removing the existing and replacing with modern materials is the easiest way but obviously not the cheapest way.

I don't like the way we as a society have to destroy the character of some of these old places in a bid to "modernise them" with inappropriate modern materials and methods. I would try and put quarry tiles back down or even clean up and save the ones that are already there but that is of course a purely personal view.

If the renovation is subject to building regulations control you may find not putting in a DPM puts you in breach of part C so be wary.

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Yes Ardex technical advised that salts could cause essofflerecent as like you say they will accumulate when they make there way through the grout joints,however the chances are highly unlikely unless we live near a lot of waste land where salts in the ground will be high.*

My view was to use a epoxy DPM however both Ardex & Mapei said not to waste the money as like I've said before they said it's not necessary if tiling the floor.**

*what does this actually mean... what has waste land got to do with it... soluble salts are in the water in the entire water table throughout the UK, off into the sea and over into the rest of the world... the efflorescence is not caused by salts in the ground water its caused by evaporation of moisture from the surface of the grout which leaves behind calcium, magnesium and sodium carbonate (depending on the makeup of the background materials) on the surface of the floor. This appears as white chrystals. It is nowt to do with ground borne moisture... if it was how do you think efflorescence appears on brickwork at the forth story of a new house...

** A systm of control of moisture in buildings is a requirement of part C of the building regulations. It is usually achieved in ground borne floor slabs by means of a polythene DPM. Tiling or no tiling is completely irrelevant.

Bond

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Yes Ardex technical advised that salts could cause essofflerecent as like you say they will accumulate when they make there way through the grout joints,however the chances are highly unlikely unless we live near a lot of waste land where salts in the ground will be high.

My view was to use a epoxy DPM however both Ardex & Mapei said not to waste the money as like I've said before they said it's not necessary if tiling the floor.

In instances where you have damp rising through a ground supported floor slab, the most harmful salts are the ones derived from organic matter, Chloride and Nitrate ions these type of salts can absorb water from the atmosphere and cause a secondary for of dampness therefore the salts that crystalise at the surface are not the most harmful in instances of rising damp.

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
In instances where you have damp rising through a ground supported floor slab, the most harmful salts are the ones derived from organic matter, Chloride and Nitrate ions these type of salts can absorb water from the atmosphere and cause a secondary for of dampness therefore the salts that crystalise at the surface are not the most harmful in instances of rising damp.
Sulphate salts in ground borne moisture are none too pleasant either. IN the right circumstances they can cause a thaumesite reaction which turns solid concrete into very smelly jelly.

OP
S

Sam2494

*what does this actually mean... what has waste land got to do with it... soluble salts are in the water in the entire water table throughout the UK, off into the sea and over into the rest of the world... the efflorescence is not caused by salts in the ground water its caused by evaporation of moisture from the surface of the grout which leaves behind calcium, magnesium and sodium carbonate (depending on the makeup of the background materials) on the surface of the floor. This appears as white chrystals. It is nowt to do with ground borne moisture... if it was how do you think efflorescence appears on brickwork at the forth story of a new house...

** A systm of control of moisture in buildings is a requirement of part C of the building regulations. It is usually achieved in ground borne floor slabs by means of a polythene DPM. Tiling or no tiling is completely irrelevant.

I meant to say "Marshland" sorry, if the property is in an area surrounded by a lot of marshland then naturally there is going to excessive amount of moisture in the ground. Which then would lead to more than usual moisture coming up through the floor slab, making its way through grout joints and then there would be large amounts of moisture to evaporate which would lead to essofflerecent.

I understand that essofflerecent isn't caused by ground moisture as like you say take brickwork for instance, that's caused from any water on the Surface evaporating and reacting to cause essofflerecent.

Yes I know that an integral polythene DPM is what stops rising damp entering a floor slab, an epoxy just creates a barrier to stop it coming through onto the surface of the slab.

Reply to Good Water resistant thick bed floor adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer