Search the forum,

Discuss glass tile excess grout removal help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

is250sp

Ok i made the mistake of hiring the cheapest handyman and i am paying for it now. My tiles are glass 4mm 12" x 12" one inch squares. Placement of tiles are good but he over-grouted mostly on the edges. I am attaching a pic and as you can see, most of the tiles are not square from the excess grout. I dont think its bad enough to remove completely and redo so I was wondering if there is some sort of sandpaper or scraping tool to remove a bit of the top layer of grout without scratching the glass?

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 80
F

faithhealer

sorry can't see the pic but I would be masking the tiles off with duct tape before I went near the grout. You can buy grout rakes but on glass tiles , don't know. A plastic impliment of some kind would be safer

U

user123

Hi:) - The changes of forum software mean we cannot see the images just yet, but it sounds to me that using LTP grout remover or similar - your local tile shop will stock this - and an abrasive nylon sponge or even an abrasive cloth used in circular action should be able to deal with this as the layer of excessive grout on the glass will be very thin. The glass will not be scratched by this, but make sure you do rinse off the LPT solution well afterwards - do start with the weakest solution first, from memory I think that's 1 part solution to 4 parts water, but it will tell you on the bottle. :thumbsup:

D

david campbell

if these are on the mosaic sheet then it is quite common to find many of them not sitting right,have you tried running a wallpaper scraper along the edges of the grout to tidy it up?

D

david campbell

wont the steel blades on the wallpaper scraper scratch the glass?

not if you keep the scraper flush and use gentle pressure with the other hand,i've cleaned of excess from polished porcelain without scratching it:thumbsup:

U

user123

Hello again, is250... now that I can see the picture I would agree with whitebeam... I think what has happened here is a case of different expectation - before grouting the space between the mosaic tiles looks much smaller than after grouting, a) because the colour stands out more and b) because it is right and good that the grout should cover a little of the bevel of the tile. Yes it could be smidgen less, but this photo on its own would not suggest bad tiling.

Looking closely it looks like the grout float being dragged across from left to right, meaning more grout is pushed onto the right side of the next tile, quite common really, and if that really does bug you, fair enough, these are your walls, a scraper used gently or the grout remover as described above should help. Be careful though not to take too much off, and the longer you wait the more danger there is that you have bits breaking off, not a good look either. Maybe have a closer look at another place with similar tiling and colours and see what you think then?

Reply to glass tile excess grout removal help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen