Search the forum,

Discuss Getting metal trim flush? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kasheen

TF
Reaction score
Ok, seems caulk is winning so far then. I know 1mm is a small amount it's just that I basically can't figure out a way to keep it completely flush while my fixing method dries. I had drilled some tiny holes in the fixing strip and then used panel pins to nail it to the wall but like I said they didn't grip the plaster enough to keep it completely flat. I can keep it flush with the tiny gaps though so I guess I know what to use to fill them now.

@Dave - Thanks for the tip on the wedges, I'm not so much having a problem keeping the trim in place height wise though, more a case of keeping it pushed extremely firmly against the wall at those tiny dips. (Maybe I've miss understood the wedges?)

Last edited:
M

mattburlinson

I was shown to use a light grey silicone seal over the edge of the straight edge. It was a common problem when I used this trim extensively on jobs in NZ. Walls had already been decorated but a neat trick of applying the silicone, spraying with a soapy water solution and then striking off with a lolly stick meant flawless results and no painting in and no gaps!

D

DHTiling

Ok, seems caulk is winning so far then. I know 1mm is a small amount it's just that I basically can't figure out a way to keep it completely flush while my fixing method dries. I had drilled some tiny holes in the fixing strip and then used panel pins to nail it to the wall but like I said they didn't grip the plaster enough to keep it completely flat. I can keep it flush with the tiny gaps though so I guess I know what to use to fill them now.

@Dave - Thanks for the tip on the wedges, I'm not so much having a problem keeping the trim in place height wise though, more a case of keeping it pushed extremely firmly against the wall at those tiny dips. (Maybe I've miss understood the wedges?)

If you have yor tiling flat then the trim should be flat as well and no need to try and hold it back tot he wall shape.. you caulk this bit in as above and the wedges hold the trim in place flat till the addy sets.

So you are trying to bend the trim back into the dips..?

Kasheen

TF
Reaction score
So you are trying to bend the trim back into the dips..?

Yes. But thinking about it now this also leaves me open to the possibility of it not covering the whole tile because the tiles are flat because I defeated the small dips with some adhesive (and the tiles are pretty large so they've bridged the gaps anyway).

Ok caulk it is... hopefully my "skills" are up the task - gonna have to lay off the caffeine ;). The trim has a handy film protector on it right now though, I imagine I could apply the caulk and pull off the protector like masking tape to make a nice edge.

Anyway, once again this forum is pretty amazing for the speed of responses so thanks all :).

D

DHTiling

If you are not to hot on caulking.. you can try corner tape..

This will also help with any siliconing in the corners and around the bath etc etc...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVMQTfpNJY]YouTube - CornerTape demo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_HMAsv9Ks&feature=related]YouTube - CornerTape System - Shaping the silicone joint[/ame]

and we try to answer asap ..:thumbsup:

Reply to Getting metal trim flush? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen