Discuss Genesis GMAT repair in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

Anyone out there had a floor repaired following a Genesis GMAT failure. I have a customer who had just had a failed floor resin injected to repair it and it has left hundreds of holes in the grout about 4 inches apart (any more holy and it could be in the Vatican!!!). The problem is that the grout has stained darker either side of the holes from the resin. I can't remove all the grout to regrout and if I fill the holes with the original colour grout I will be left with hundreds of light coloured dots. Is there a grout or product out there that will fill the holes and darken the original grout. Tiles are porcelain that has not been (or requires) sealing so the grout is not sealed unless the resin has done this. Thanks.

I

Ian

You could fill the holes then recolour the whole lot. Are genesis footing the bill for the grout repair?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you know what resin they used??

P

Perfect Tiling

Thanks for the replies guys. They had to repair 40 sq mtrs...it wasn't all needed...yet but they did it because they were up here anyway (NE Scotland). Gary...Is mapei epojet LV a grout restorer that will dye the grout all one colour? Bri...yes they are...and for the hassle I've had but its not actually Genesis. They put their name to the mat but it was another company that imported it so they are responsible. It was them that paid for the repairs to be carried out....I think they were called Newtons.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi,im the same opinion is john if they have accepted liability which they have they need to do the job to an acceptable standard......all this is going to do is leave your customer even more frustrated i would call them back

P

Perfect Tiling

I can't really regrout the whole floor as it 5 tile sizes in a modular layout and the tiles have a riven edge. Plus the customer wants no mess so I can't get a grinder etc out. I have had my quote accepted by the supplier and it will more than cover everything. I will ask them about loosing the decoupling following the repair. If this is the case then I will try to get the customers money back from the purchase of the mat as they will have bought a decoupling mat that won't decouple!!!!

E

ellmas

Hello i was just wondering how you got on with reinbersments for grouting etc, i have had to rake out and regrout around 200m floor on a job i did back in jan 2010, been through the resin process and spent countless hours breaking out and replacing tiles that never held, hundreds of emails and meetings, still alot of areas are crunching, now nearly 3 years later at the end of this month it looks like i am going to be sued cause resin people can do no more, my liability ins wont cover cause its a faulty product so i will have to fork out more for legal fees, anyone with some advice will be appreciated.

Regards
Martin

E

ellmas

Thanks for reply, it will probly come to that, although the matt is supplied to genesis by john newtons and they are the uk outlet for the german manufacturers interplast, so in all a chain of about 7 companies, the only ones gonna do ok here are the solicitors, would be nice if the client could sue interplast directly and leave out others just caught in the chain, its already cost me about £1800 in labour and matts regrouting and replacing tiles, but would happily walk away if i could and take the loss, i hope no one else has this experience.

P

Perfect Tiling

Mat problem...not your fault!

Thanks for reply, it will probly come to that, although the matt is supplied to genesis by john newtons and they are the uk outlet for the german manufacturers interplast, so in all a chain of about 7 companies, the only ones gonna do ok here are the solicitors, would be nice if the client could sue interplast directly and leave out others just caught in the chain, its already cost me about £1800 in labour and matts regrouting and replacing tiles, but would happily walk away if i could and take the loss, i hope no one else has this experience.

Hi martin. Sorry that you had the same problem with the GMAT. You are worse off than me as I only had 40 sq mtrs. After the resin repair was done with my job..eventually I went out and regrouted but some of the tiles were still crunching under weight but not coming loose. The floor looked as good as new when I left it...then came the arkward bit...getting paid by Newtons. After about 8 months and many e-mails I eventually got my money. It was a good job that I added on a good percentage to cover the hassle I thought i would get! As far as I can see...and I would do the same...you have done the best you can to help repair a job that was wrong through a defective material supplied to you as serviceable at the time of supply. Its not your problem so don't take the flak. Direct any correspondance through Genesis to Newtons. I dealt with a really lovely lass at Genesis called Janet who sorted everything out. Don't lose sleep over it mate as its not you fault...its a manufacturing defect!

E

ellmas

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear you got yours sorted, the problem resin people had was we only had 2mm joints with polished porc tiles, they only manage to drill at the cross section of grout joints, we also incured alot of chipped tiles through the drilling, and then had to pay a chip repair to do these, the whole things been a reel pain, did you deal with david hall at newtons?

Reply to Genesis GMAT repair in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley