Discuss General advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower and received some great advice which helped me achieve a half decent finish so thank you for that.

Now I’m about to tile a small bathroom floor (approx 2.5m x 2m) for the first time and wanted to double check that what I am planning to do sounds correct and/or whether it could be improved. Please note I am not a tiler but simply helping here and there with a renovation project.
  • Floor is chipboard so I plan to overboard with 6mm Hardie Backer bedding it down with some adhesive and screwing/taping to manufacturers recommendations. Should I prime the chipboard in any way (SBR?) prior to putting the hardie and addy down? The chipboard/floor is sound and there is no movement/deflection.
  • Tiles are 600 x 300mm so I’m planning on using a 10mm square notched trowel and lightly back buttering each tile as I go. Any need to upgrade to a round notched trowel or something bigger?
  • Also planning to use a tile levelling system (flat bottomed clips rather than the curved ones) - any suggestions or links for the most cost effective ones? I'm sure I read someone say on here that its best to get clips that are slightly smaller than the size of grout lines you want (presumably as it aids removal after drying?), so I’m thinking 2mm clips in the levelling system and then 3mm spacers. Is it good practice to do this?
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Will

S

Spare Tool

Won't harm to prime the chipboard with whichever brand of tile adhesive you use.
10mm notch trowel is fine.
2mm or even 1.5 Schmox clips and wedges on ebay can be bought in more or less exact quantities to complete one project.
Can't comment on the Larson as never used it but Tilemaster standard setaflex is a good S1 and 3 bags will will be enough for the whole job including sticking boards down, there's is also a good flexible grout to use.

P

Perfect Tiling

You seem to have the right idea. I tend to use the 10mm insulation boards more than Hardie now as I can get at the same price and are much easier to work with. See if you have a local CTD....they will also be a better price on adhesive...try BAL single part flexible....5 hours pot life and groutable the next day. Remember to stagger your boards and tape the joints with a tape such as fila tape as its cement resistant. Oh....use either 25 or 30mm screws unless YOU KNOW for CERTAIN that there are no pipes or wires checked into the top of the joists.

W

Waluigi

Definitely prime the Chipboard. Sounds like you’ve been quoted a Retail price for your adhesive. Bal SPF slow set is really nice adhesive IMO.

It’s down to personally choice though.

Reply to General advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks