Search the forum,

Discuss Gap between top tile and ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonny2tanx

Hi all. I am trying to finish my house extension that has been going on for almost a year, and tiling the ensuite is the final job. I am using 600x300 ceramic tiles laid landscape and in straight rows. I have used MS Excel to make a grid of tiles and also the dimensions of the walls with window, door and bath (set column and row widths to the same as the relevant dimensions in cm using the pixel measurement), and have laid the tile grid under the wall grid and moved it around to see what works out as the best layout. I can get it to work quite nicely with straight cuts around the window reveal rather than having to do L shaped tiles, but I end up with a gap of about 1.5cm between the top of the top full tile and the ceiling - in other words the distance from the inside of the window reveal to the ceiling is 31.5cm whilst my tiles are 30cm :oops:

I have tried moving my "tile sheet" round behind the "wall sheet", but can't seem to get a decent result - If I make it so that a have a horizontal joint half way between the top of the reveal and the ceiling, I then end up with an approximately 12cm wide strip above the bath (and 4 L shaped cuts around the window). The other half says 'just ignore the gap at the top of the wall and fill it with grout between tile and ceiling (more out of desperation to see the job finished, I think) but I don't think this will look right.

What am I best doing?

Plan A: stick with the original layout and have the gap or

Plan B: have a horizontal joint 16.5cm or so from the ceiling, and have a 10cm high strip around the top of the bath? The bath runs across the room directly in front of you when you walk into the room.

It doesnt look at all bad when I put my "tile sheet" behind my "bath wall sheet" - in fact it balances the wall vertically, with the 12 cm strip above the bath and the half tile (or thereabouts) next to the ceiling. Is the 12cm strip above the bath enough, do you think? Trouble with this is the 4 L shaped cuts that introduces the possibility of error with an amateur like me. I can get around this my moving the tiles half a width sideways (having the joint in the middle of the window rather than mid tile in the middle of the window, so I end up with straight vertical and horizontal cuts), but then end up with a 10 cm sliver in the corner of the room (but this may be hidden by the towel rail and is on the wall where the door is).

The 'Works Manager' says just get on with it but I have read so much here about the importance of correct setting out that I need to get it right. Sorry about the wordy explanation, but any advice would be appreciated.

I used to be indecisive but am in 2 minds about that now

D

DHTiling

You don't want a gap that size around the top..it will look garbage....12cm around the bath is fine....you need to get an even balance , so if you have 4 L cuts a round a window then so be it....as long as you get decent cuts at all datums....:thumbsup:

J

jonny2tanx

Thanks Dave, thats what I thought (and feared). Any advice on how to make the L cuts? I have a manual tile cutter and also a wet wheel cutter, and will be using stainless steel L shaped trim around the window reveal

D

doug boardley

have you taken into account your floor tiles? ie could you raise your bottom course of tiles maybe 10mm to take up the slack?

D

d noulton

hi jonny you will never get the perfect scenario just the one you want or not ? try differant sizes of the bath 1/2 tile 3/4 tile etc etc
without seeing the room its difficult or the wife says do as your told

J

jonny2tanx

Hi Doug

Thanks for the idea, but I dont think that will help - the gap between the top of the reveal and the ceiling is 31.5cm and my tile is 30cm - going to end up with either a cut, a gap or a sliver and it looks like the cut is the best bet

D

DHTiling

Hi jonny..yes use the wet cutter for the L cuts...and a hacksaw with mitre box for the internal mitre cuts on the trim in the window reveals...

D

doug boardley

Hi Doug

Thanks for the idea, but I dont think that will help - the gap between the top of the reveal and the ceiling is 31.5cm and my tile is 30cm - going to end up with either a cut, a gap or a sliver and it looks like the cut is the best bet

ah yes, that is a prob,anychance of overboarding the ceiling?

J

jonny2tanx

No, not really possible to overboard the ceiling - would be more work than biting the bullet and doing the cuts. Was hoping I could get away with it but it's not to be.

Reply to Gap between top tile and ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen