Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss foil backed ufh in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all i have a job i am pricing for ufh in 30m in total

customer claims another firm have priced foil backed ufh mats which i know you can get but am not convinced these are suitable for tiling onto can anyone confirm this?

cheers all jamie

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Foil backed insulation boards I assume. If it is something like celotex or kings pan it will be completely unsuitable for tiling directly to as the alkalis in the wet adhesive or levelling compound will react with the alluminium to evolve hydrogen gas which will destroy the bond with the foil.

if it is something else then not sure...

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
cheers guys no not the foil backed boards its the roll of foil with ufh wires attached its for carpets and laminates normally i told him it wasnt for tiling just wondered if there was some product out there that i hadnt seen

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
cheers guys no not the foil backed boards its the roll of foil with ufh wires attached its for carpets and laminates normally i told him it wasnt for tiling just wondered if there was some product out there that i hadnt seen

Again I agree with you. I think I do know the product. It is quite flat and an be used under laminate flooring as well... I deffo can't see it being suitable for tiling onto. It would be a bit like tiling onto a sheet of polythene.

I assume this product would come per printed with "tiling disaster" cos that's what it sounds like it should have written all over it.

B

Bubblecraft

The foil UFH out there is only suitable for laminate & carpets. If it were to be tiled on, there would be no contact with the substrate at all. Even fitting a floating floor on top would fail as again, there is no contact being made between the substrate & floating floor. Loose wire or matting are the only electric UFH systems available to be tiled on whether tiled on top or in a screed

U

Uheat - Keith

I agree with Ajax123 & Bubblecraft on this.
The Celotex and Kingspan type of insulation boards are for a screed finish on top, then floor finish or UFH and floor finish.

Our foil Underfloor Heating system, Elektra WoodTec2, is for Laminate floor finishes etc and is never used for a tile floor finish.

Reaction score
foil backed ufh is for carpet or laminate, cannot be used with self level or tile adhesive and usually works out more expensive per Kw than the ufh suitable for tiling

Reply to foil backed ufh in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks