Search the forum,

Discuss floor tiling questions in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

reeves1985

I will be tiling my bathroom floor as part of my bathroom refub
Just want to get some opinions on prep for tiling

The floor area is only small less than 5 sqm over old floorboards.

Just wondering what the best was to go about prepping the floor and what to use as a sub base

As it stands the boards are in good condition and solid which I will be adding screws to.

The tile I'm going to be using is a 7mm ceramic

R

rj1884

Hello. I would make sure the boards are solid with no bounce and are not damaged in anyway. If this is the case I would fix hardie backer down which will give you a decent surface to tile to. Use adhesive and screws to fix the boards down. Remember where the pipes are though.

R

rj1884

Use a cement based adhesive, I normally use a rapid flexible adhesive. The aim of the adhesive is to just fill any voids between the floorboards and backer boards. I always prime the floor prior to laying boards.

R

reeves1985

Thanks I'll look into it although it's only a tiny area I don't want to do it wrong
Final question what's normal practice for tiling order floor or walls first
Floor tiles are square wall tiles are rectangular

R

rj1884

If the tiles are different sizes then I always try and do the floor first if I can and tile down to it as it gives a better finish in my opinion.

R

reeves1985

That was my thinking as I'm doing the whole room it's no problem to do the floor first
Especially as its the only bathroom in the house and my partner has crohns and not long since had a bowel resection so I need to have the toilet in a working condition asap which by doing the floor first will help

Reply to floor tiling questions in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen