Search the forum,

Discuss Floor tiling dot and dab? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

notatiler

Hi,
I'm not a tiler but I'm after some advice if that's OK. Basically some floor tiles in a house I rented have beocme damaged and I'm trying to sort it out with the landlord. I don't think the original tiling job has been done correctly. I'm not trying to blame the original tiler, just work out what has happened.
Two tiles have broken and it's possible to see that there was no adhesive under most of the tile. It looks like the "dot and dab" method has been used? Liek I say, I'm not a tiler but everywhere I've looked (including this forum, e.g. "applying adhesive methods"? Not allowed to put a link?) suggests that there should be adhesive under all the tile, especially on the floor.
2014-10-20-1839d.jpg
So, can I ask people's opinions on this? I'm not looking for legal advice or anything like that, I'm just trying to figure out if I've got a leg to stand on. I'm offering to pay some of the cost but he wants me to pay all.
I'd appreciate any comments,

A

Alan M

I cant see the pic. its very small.
if its dot and dab then its a disaster. total cowboy.

don't pay anything. why should you. its the landlords responsibility to supply a safe house.
its up to them to put it right. they can chase the tiler for fixing it

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I take it you have damaged the floor and the landlord wants you to pay to put it right. .?

Sticky wicket really.....your correct tiles should not be d/d .....However no tile is guaranteed against impact damage no matter how its fixed. .
I would have a good look at your rental agreement but agree you shouldn't have to pay fully for a bodged job.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tiles should not have been dot and dabbed. But it's not the landlords fault that something heavy was dropped on the floor.
Agreeing to pay half would be fairer.

N

notatiler

Sorry about the picture, there seems to be a limit on the size of the picture I can post. I've put some photos on the internet but can't post a link from here?!?

N

notatiler

Tiles should not have been dot and dabbed. But it's not the landlords fault that something heavy was dropped on the floor.
Agreeing to pay half would be fairer.

The reason the landlord chasing me is that I was the one who reported it to him and I'm the only one (shared house, 5 tenants) who would admit to dropping anything in that area.
What was dropped? Well, someone had put a bottle of wine in a door shelf in the fridge and it fell out when I opened the fridge one morning. It landed mostly on my foot, I picked it up (swore quietly at whoever had put the bottle there), put it away and got on with the rest of the day. I don't know for certain that this broke the tile, the bottle didn't break.
Since the broken tile is in front of the fridge it could be that the bottle caused it but not certain.

I accept that any floor can be damaged by dropping something heavy enough onto it, it just appears to be that a proper kitchen floor shouldn't break in an impact with a glass bottle that didn't break the bottle.

Since it may have been me I'm offering to pay some of the costs.

N

notatiler

I take it you have damaged the floor and the landlord wants you to pay to put it right. .?

Yes, he's asking for me to pay the full cost.

Sticky wicket really.....your correct tiles should not be d/d .....

Part of the reason for starting this thread is to get a better understanding of whether the technique used was suitable, I don't know for certain it is "dot and dab", I wouldn't know correct method from bad. It was clear from looking at the damage that there was no adhesive directly under the broken portion and there seemed to be a big blob of it just next to the damage, all I could see was an edge of what looked similar to a big, thick, squashed blob of white blu tack (but hard).

However no tile is guaranteed against impact damage no matter how its fixed. .
I would have a good look at your rental agreement but agree you shouldn't have to pay fully for a bodged job.

Yes, I agree. I've explained in a different post why I'm being blamed for the damage and I'm happy to pay part of the cost but don't think I should have to pay the full amount.

N

notatiler

I wasn't allowed to post a bigger image, when I tried to upload a bigger picture I received "file too big" messages until I shrunk it down to 10kB. I'll try a slightly bigger one here...
2014-10-20-1839c.jpg
If this one works you can see the damage to the tiles, the edge of a blob of white adhesive and the lighter grey of the substrate(?).

Reply to Floor tiling dot and dab? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen