Search the forum,

Discuss floor or walls first? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

starbs

got a job on at the minute and just want to check... im fitting an en-suite in a loft conversion and the home owner wants me to tile the floor and walls round the bath. Its a floor board type floor I intend laying 6mm ply then tiling when ive done one before ive tiled the floor 1st and then the walls is this the correct way to go or would you do the walls 1st?

cheers in advance

J

jamespaul

walls first when ever possible (you don't want to be working on a nice new floor )

12 mm ply or backer board

S

starbs

thanks for the info guys I will inform the customer they will have to dig a bit deeper into their pockets for backerboard. Is ply a defo no no? or just that backeboard is the latest technology? I fitted some porcelain floor tiles a good year and a half ago straight onto a plywood floor and theyre still going good

T

Time's Ran Out

Hardie is the way forward if the substrate is deflection free and about 3rd more in cost than plywood.
Floor/wall first can be decided on bonding/tile sizes, but if you do the walls first you can leave out the bottom cut till the floor is done.

P

prceramics

i tile the walls 1st leaving off the bottom row of tiles, then the floor then put the bottom row in

Reply to floor or walls first? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen