Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
No, but you could always go for Mapei Renovation screed or Latexplan...... much cheaper than Fibreplan. Fibreplan is very good stuff, but ren plan is just as good and easy to work with

Why is it putting the "good guys" off??? If they are indeed good, then this shouldnt put them off. Any pro tiler would take it in their stride. Please do not employ another amateur.... you dont need the hassle again :thumbsdown:

Will the webber floor flex do the job? I have 3 bags of it.

J

jay

Might pay to use one that is compatable with the original leveling compound you have used over the under floor heating

Reaction score
Might pay to use one that is compatable with the original leveling compound you have used over the under floor heating

Tilemaster have told me webber floor flex is compatable with the SLC i used.Im more concerned with the minimum build height.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i would buy renovation screed,goes from 3mm upwards

i have used weber flex before but would only use it up from 10mm as advised if it was my job since your sub floor is timber,thats just me though

cant you swap it

P

plan-it-earth

There is no excuse for lippage, there are spacers available (although expensive) that avoid lippage. As you were offering to pay extra for a good job, the spacers would have been only a few pounds extra on the job. If your floor had been stone, it could have sorted out your lips but not with porcelain i'm affraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Update: (pics to follow tomorrow)

Good evening

Another layer of SLC was applied to the floor on Sunday morning, in anticipation of another tiler quoting mid-afternoon and not wanting him see the state of the floor.

The leveling went very well and was perfect (all the practice we have had :lol: ) and the tiler said it was the best he has ever seen so no excuses for a bad job.

The tiler gave me great confidence with his approach and understanding of the situation so i awarded him the work. He realized that the tiles were already cut so had to be laid in an identical layout but agreed that lippage and grout lines had to be spot on. He is also registered with the local council as a certified trader and he is also an "inactive" member on this site so all good signs in my eyes.

Day 1 (Tuesday)
I arrived home late Tuesday night to a fully laid floor. After inspection i found 6 x tiles to have lippage in excess of 2mm!! There are only a couple of tiles which are perfect with the rest having 0.5mm - 1mm lippage on a 2mm grout line. I couldn't believe the situation i was left in again and thought this must be a wind up and expected the camera man to jump out of the cupboard! Unfortunately it didn't happen. I picked myself off the floor and called the tiler. He agreed to drive straight round and have a look. We ended up pulling 8 x tiles taking 1.5 hrs (breaking one) as he agreed they were not acceptable. The tiler is a lovely bloke and i gave him the benifit of the doubt because for some odd reason he walked over the floor to store his tools for the night when he left for the day, even though the addhesive hadn't set??

Day 2 (Wednesday)
The floor has been finished but 2 x tiles refitted are still not acceptable with 2mm of tile lippage. The wall has 12 x tiles fitted (100x33) and 2 x tiles have terrible lippage! On a positive note grout lines are consistent throughout. I'm a grown man and have a lot of responsibility at work but this situation is getting the better of me. I haven't called the tiler because I simply can't keep having these dramas late in the evening when neighbors and family (its an apartment) are trying to relax. This is actually causing me serious grief with my partner!

I will simply put "post it" notes on the worst tiles with a note saying sort it out. Regrettably i have conceded that my bathroom dream will never be "real" and i will accept defeat. Quite sad really when i have pumped 10K of my bloody hard earned money into it and have been without a functional bathroom for 10 weeks. Another hard lesson in life.

S

steve187

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with another tiler.
What i can not understand is that on the wednesday, he re-layed the tiles he had messed up the previous day, but still left some knowing full well that they would be unacceptable, and then went on to fix some wall tiles,again with some unacceptable lips, either he is not capable of knowing if he is doing a good job or not, or he is taking no pride in his work.

Looking at the work he has done, do you think, he is up to giving you the standard of finished work that you require? if the answer is no, then you will have to think hard about letting him carry on, and as been posted on here, you will have to give some serious thought to doing at least the floor yourself, maybe with the help of your dad. You can not keep spending out on new tiles, and having to deal with the stress of it all.

All the best to you in your endeavors to create a nice bathroom

Q

Qwerty

If this situation is causing you so much stress I cannot understand why you have employed another amateur. Anybody can be a member of this forum, especially an inactive member.
What references did this guy offer you?
What guarantee did he offer?
I really do hope you didn't choose the cheapest quote.
To get this mess sorted you WILL have to employ the services of a pro tiler which will cost you money.....not spare change.
Do it once do it right
Ive said everything I need to say on this thread now.

Reply to Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen