Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Floor grout type, colours and advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. DJM

DJM Active Member

On a previous thread we were thnking about keeping the 1920's tiles we had exposed in the downstairs loo if they cleaned up ok. Now the issue is how to grout them

They look like the tiles were fixed in motar / microconcrete and that was the inter-tile medium as well. It has broken down a bit and needs replacing.

Can I rake out (assuming my Fien and diamond blade will remove the current 'grout') and use a standard grout?
    Also not sure of the colour. I have plenty of Mapei white, but think it would look odd, so was considering Mapei Moon White (103). What are your thoughts looking at the picture?

IMG_4243.JPG

2. Tommythetiler80

Tommythetiler80 Active Member

Think I’d personally opt for a grey grout being it the toilet you know what us males are like at aiming after a couple of sherberts!! I use Tilemaster grout 3000 and I’d possibly look at the natural grey colour

3. DJM

DJM Active Member

Tommy, I know what you are saying.

The Mapei Moon white is a sort of off white so thought that would give a similar effect to grey without being so cement like. And as the room will be a white base thought it would match quite well.

That said I do quite like the greys though Ultracolour is easier to get around here than Tilemaster.

4. Bond

Bond Active Member

Personally i would think about replacing the tiles as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Grey definitely no lighter than 111 silver grey probably 112 . I would gonfor a colour to get close to your light tile and not lighter .

6. John Benton

John Benton Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

For me I would go 120 Negro, so you don't even notice a grout joint, steer clear of 103 on a floor, far too light

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJM

DJM Active Member

I understand your point, but they have cleaned up quite well since that photo and we like the originality of them.
    And anyway if we don't like then after a while we can always cover them or change them late

• Like Like x 1
  8. DJM

DJM Active Member

Don't like 111 silver and not sure Manhattan 110 is much better.
    Might go for Cement 113 or Anthracite 114, but worried the dark colour won't match the dark tile and or stain the light tile.

9. DJM

DJM Active Member

Just worried Black 120 will stain the pearl white tile and still not match the black tile so still stand out.

10. DJM

DJM Active Member

Thanks for all the advice about not going too light. Perhaps moon white 103 is not such a good idea

11. DJM

DJM Active Member

So we were decided to go for anthracite 114 or black 120, but then I read so many posts about black being a nightmare to work with and light tiles getting stained that we are now backing away from that.

Should we be worried going for dark / black grout - especially as the tiles are old and not quite as smooth as they would have been new. Or do we just live with a lighter grey

12. Rookery

Rookery Professional Tiler

I'd probably choose Map 113 as being a good compromise. If you wanted to use 114 or 120 and I understand why, you could always put some pre-grouting sealer on first to try & prevent the grout staining the tiles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tommythetiler80

Tommythetiler80 Active Member

Black grout is a nightmare!!! Ruins most things it comes in contact with, I personally hate the stuff

• Like Like x 1
  14. DJM

DJM Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Whilst i think black would be a good answer, if tilers would prefer not to use it, then I think I'ss steer clear.

So had a look at Ardex and their Antique Ivory looks a very similar colour to the the light tile so thought that would be a good choice. I know it's light, but if a good match to one of the tiles, then shouldnt stand out.
    Problem is that either I get 10 Kgs of it from a local stockist which is about 8 or 9 more than I need, or I order 2.5 Kg online and pay as much as 10 Kgs in delivery costs.

Oh well might just have to go with a Map grey

15. Wes

Wes Active Member

Hi djm I agree with tommythetiler natural grey or mid grey grout 3000.
    Pity your not closer to me got loads of part bags of grout 3000 knocking about in garage.

16. DJM

DJM Active Member

Wes,
    Thanks for the thought

SWMBO isn't keen on grey
    I have found a stockist with 2.5 Kg of Ardex Antique Ivory not too far away.
    So might try that and if it looks naff then take out and go with grey.

17. Wes

Wes Active Member

OK no problem sure it will look fine

18. DJM

DJM Active Member

Thanks for everybody's help. Went with Ardex antique Ivory and it looks good.
    One thing though I liked using the Mapei Ultracolor better than the Ardex. Much easier to use and gave a better finish