Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting Travertine tiles in new build house - advice very welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fd3typer2

Hi, first post here so be gentle ... :lol:

I'm a reasonably experienced builder and a fair tiler and have a job coming up for a good client. It's a bathroom in a newish build house. Stud walls and water resistant flooring board etc.

Client wants travertine tiles on the floor and walls so I have been reading up on the old travertine as I've never done it before. The tiles I think are Topps tiles Honed and filled 10mm, 60x40 on the floor and something like 20x30mm on the walls

This is what I plan to do but have a few questions along the way..

Floor - I think i need hardibacker on the floor (6 or 12mm?). Do I lay it down on a bed of flexible adhesive or screw it down straight to the floor?

Wall - because of the weight of the tiles I can't put the tiles straight on right? So, do I need to screw 6mm hardibacker onto the plasterboard stud partition (finding the joists of course).
And do I just screw or do I have to have some adhesive between the hardibacker and plasterboard?
And for screws, countersink drywall screws or is there something else more clever?

Do I need the expansion gap at the bottom of the wall tiles? If so, how do you guys usually do this? With just tile spacers?

Sealant - seal before or after sticking the tiles, and before or after grouting?

Adhesive - I have LOADS of Green star tubs, can I use this. I'm expecting a no, but would prefer to hear a yes to save me some cash :smilewinkgrin:

I'm sure the answers are somewhere on this board but can't seem to find them. Sorry if the questions are repeated

Many many thanks in advance to all you gods of tiling :drool5:

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome....Tubbed on floors...:oops:...:smilewinkgrin:.

Couple questions first plz..

How thick is the chipboard floorboards..and are the walls plastered.?

D

diamondtiling

Dave beat me to it, leave the green star in the .................bin. :smilewinkgrin:

Substrate info would be helpful

:thumbsup:

W

White Room

Whats on the floor at the moment, chipboard etc
Are the walls bare plasterboard or skimmed
I stick tiles on, grout then seal and seal again
No green star, white spf powdered

F

fd3typer2

Hi,

Flexible floor adhesive for the floors. (I mentioned that when talking about the hardibacker on the floor but wasn't clear enough sorry)

Floor is just standard 18mm t+g on 300 centres

Stud walls are skim over plasterboard. 400 centres on 4x2 c16 I believe

Cheers!

D

DHTiling

300 centres,,,hardi 250 ( 6mm) is great...as you say a bed of flexi adhesive and then screwed down every 200mm...the only thing i would add to this is an un-coupling membrane as it is travertine and you don't want any lateral stress cracks coming to the surface.

You can use the hardi ( 6mm ) on the walls as well but use adhesive and screws..

small expansion gaps on hardi boards and floor to wall transitions and then use an alkali resistant scrim tape for the joints.

F

fd3typer2

Excellent, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

One more question though.. I'll get hold of some "uncoupling membrane", where does this go? Between the hardi and the tiles? And how is it applied?

D

DHTiling

Soz...on top of the hardi...:thumbsup:..stuck down with flexi...

Only reson for hardi is coz of the 18mm chipboard...

Can this be removed..? and replaced with ply..if so then only un-coupling needed.

F

fd3typer2

Great, thanks again.

No the chipboard has to stay down, would be too much work to remove ! I could screw some marine ply down @150mm I guess but the floor level would be a bit too high. I'm preferring the hardi at the mo.

Alls I do is break things with hammers :smilewinkgrin: I never knew there was so much science in tiling! :lol:

D

DHTiling

LOL...and builders think tiling is easy...:lol:....

Where are you based...i can let you know where to get some un-coupling membrane.

Reply to Fitting Travertine tiles in new build house - advice very welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen