Discuss Finishing up and starting up. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

K

Kaz

Hello All,

Im finally taking the plunge and starting up professionally in Spain. I guess business will be slow (or non-existent!) at first but I will work hard, ensure I strive for perfection and keep the customers needs at the top of the list, and hopefully I will deserve that business to grow. Amazing to find a forum like this. My eyes are bloodshot and bleary and Ive gotten through nearly a whole box of Yorkshire tea reading all your advice. Great to be here and have the ear of the pros'. Thanks.

OP
K

Kaz

Thanks Andy. Great to hear theres another gringo about. Would like to get some chats going. Im in Murcia. Thinking about the challenges. My few years experience in Spain so far has taught me not to base any expectations here on what you know about the UK and some things can be a struggle. My Mrs says Im getting good at making sangria tho! :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Where about in Spain are you?

OP
W

WetSaw

Thanks Andy. Great to hear theres another gringo about. Would like to get some chats going. Im in Murcia. Thinking about the challenges. My few years experience in Spain so far has taught me not to base any expectations here on what you know about the UK and some things can be a struggle. My Mrs says Im getting good at making sangria tho! :)

@Dan ...

OP
W

WetSaw

Hi Kaz

What I've learnt here is that construction techniques are rather different from the UK. If you're conscientious and reliable you'll have plenty of work. You may well struggle just doing tiling though but it may be different up there, I'm on the Costa del Sol and I'm run ragged at the moment. In fact I've just given away a 35m2 terrace because I can't fit it in.

OP
K

Kaz

Hi, Wow! Doing alright then?.. good for you. I think most of the initial jobs for me would be for Brits as theres a large community here and plenty of new property buyers also. My mate and his mrs run an estate agency and theyre 'walls to the ball' at the mo so things look pretty good generally. I have yet to see how the Spanish general receive a British tradesman to do their work? I guess they may not be bothered where youre from as long as the price is right, you can communicate and do a top job. I guess ill see where things lead me. Agreed about the construction methods, different kettle of fish and then theres some, shall we say 'techniques,' some of which Ive seen were disasters waiting to happen, and not waiting long in some cases. EEeek! comes to mind often. :)

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome Kaz, plenty of Brits about in Murcia, we were over there at a friends villa on LaManga last year

OP
K

Kaz

Welcome Kaz, plenty of Brits about in Murcia, we were over there at a friends villa on LaManga last year
Hi John,
Yes La Manga is just down the road, got a couple of mates live in the La Manga club its nice I like it there. If you like golf, even better, or if youre like me and cant hit a barn door with a hammer then the bars are a nice alternative.

Reply to Finishing up and starting up. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer