Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing Trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Quick question.

My tiler never finished the trim to a good standard. The mitre joints are pretty poor and sharp.

I know i should have got him back to finish the job properly, but a year after moving into my building site and the wife was ready to drop, so bit of a budget/rush job.

Any suggestions on if/how these can be filed to a neater finish. Was thinking of getting a file and trying to gently take the edges off and make all the joints a bit more rounded....any expert advise is much appreciated.

Dan

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Dan

thanks for registering. you will now be able to post more freely in the forum and shouldn't have any restrictions uploading photo's provided that you keep them to a small but viewable size. I'll move this thread to the main Tiling Forum where it will be seen by lots of other members and when you get chance, feel free to upload your photo.

Thanks
GRR

D

danm

trim.JPG

photo curteousy of the wife. First time, hopefully the issue is obvious.

J

jay

Now that looks dangerous .dont think any amount of sanding or filing will fix it would be easier to remove and replace (not an easy job) sorry for the bad news

S

Stewart

Looks like plastic trim so will be quite easy to do with a fine file, although I would be asking the tiler to do this, as it is quite a poor finish for a pro to leave.

I

Ian

As Jay says, thats going to be impossible to sort properly, needs replacing with new trim and corner pieces to stop the sharp points. Unfortunately to get the old trim out and some new trim in will mean removing the row of tiles the trim is attched to.

I

Ian

Looks like plastic trim so will be quite easy to do with a fine file, although I would be asking the filer to do this, as it is quite a poor finish for a pro to leave.

Even if its filed down, it hasn't been put in very straight don't you think?

S

Stewart

Even if its filed down, it hasn't been put in very straight don't you think?

Without a doubt....... but if they don't want to get the tiler back (which I advised) then it's the easiest option for them to file it.......

D

danm

thanks for the replies guys. Was 3 years ago, don't even remember the tilers name!. One of those thing i never quite got round to sorting out.

In process of putting house on the market so am going round 'snagging'.

My own fault for not looking properly at the time. I'll have a go with a fine file. agree its not entirely straight, just want to take the corner off slightly to make it more presentable than it currently is.

So just get a fine file and take it slowly. Is that about it?

I

Ian

Without a doubt....... but if they don't want to get the tiler back (which I advised) then it's the easiest option for them to file it.......

I wasn't criticising! Sorry if it came across that way, I agree that filing is the easiest option, didn't realise it was done 3 years ago and that the house was going on the market! :)

S

Stewart

I wasn't criticising! Sorry if it came across that way, I agree that filing is the easiest option, didn't realise it was done 3 years ago and that the house was going on the market! :)

I know you weren't Bri, so no worries.....:)0) Sometimes you just have to give the simplest answer to solve the problem without making it anymore complicated. That's the beauty of the forum. If we all gave the same answer it would get pretty boring pretty quick IMO....

D

Deleted member 9966

I found, when selling my old house, that small comestic issues tend to go unnoticed. it's usually the glaringly obvious issues that will be spotted first. go carefully with the trim filing, be discreet with how much you file it back. sometimes it's true that less is more. concentrate on making the bathroom spotlessly clean and tidy and chances are some out of line trim won't be spotted.

when I bought my current house, I thought I had spotted all of the "snags" in the house (it was a repossession, so in a very poor state) but I never even noticed the 1ft X 1ft square patch on the ceiling on the landing that had obviously had a foot through it at some point before being repaired for almost 6 months :lol:

oh and try not to sell your house to a Tiler. they are the worst when it comes to "assessing" tiling work wherever they may be :grin:

Reply to Finishing Trim in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen