Search the forum,

Discuss finishing travertine to high standard what do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hardy

Looking for information on edge finishing and pictures on how to finish travertine edges, currently i sand with different grades and fill the edges seems to be long hard job and takes a lot of time some darker coloured travertine it marks the face and i struggle to get it back to origional honed and filled finish. What does everbody else do? look forward to your coments.
Steve

S

Spud

what you are doing is great, i think that edge polishing is a must on natural work trims just dont look good on natural work in my opinion ,have you tried diamond polishing pads they are pretty good on natural tiles especially granite i find the paper polishing pads better on travertine and marble

F

faithhealer

made a note of that one. Got lucky on my own bathroom (only took a year) travertine had a nice rounded edge which I managed to utilise to good effect.

B

bal

I mitre all my travetine externial corners and finish the rough points where they meet with resin which has an harderner addded to it , then sand off excess with wet and dry , you can not see the join and looks like a solid block of travertine.

H

hardy

I just fitted walnut in my bathroom looks great but still not happy with corners on window thought about mitre the corners but hard to do double mitre at top and bottom. Do you find the classic colours sand better than the darker colour or just use finer sand paper (wet and dry)? If I use a fine grit sandpaper the finish on the face of the tile not the same as factory honed and filled would I get this with wet and dry paper.

Cheers lads

G

Grace'sDad

I'm with Bal on this except I find that the blade on my Montolit bridge saw polishes the travertine edges brilliantly - just use a diamond file in the corners where the blade doesn't reach.

I don't think anyone else sells these on the forum - google for "montolit diamond rub pad set" and these are the business for all edge finishing.

T

TilingLogistics

The Fein machine can be used to good effect for this job. They sell a soft ppolishing backing pad and it works really well for those of you that do not have a hand polishing machine:thumbsup:

Kev

M

MICK the Tiler

Looking for information on edge finishing and pictures on how to finish travertine edges, currently i sand with different grades and fill the edges seems to be long hard job and takes a lot of time some darker coloured travertine it marks the face and i struggle to get it back to origional honed and filled finish. What does everbody else do? look forward to your coments.
Steve

No real easy way of doing it, you either work by hand or use an angle grinder with different grit pads starting at 100 grit and 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000 grit depending on the hardness of the stone you might get a satisfactory polish at the end of using 800 grit.

Here's a link that might help

YouTube - Fabricate Granite Profile Polish granite Edge ON A BUDGET

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to finishing travertine to high standard what do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen