Discuss Finishing To The Ceiling? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

What's your method? I have always cut tight to the ceiling and grouted. I've seen a few pics where it looks like some have siliconed to ceiling, who does that?

O

On one

A 1mm or 2mm grouted joint to a plastered ceiling,
Or 1mm or 2mm ungrouted joint to a plastic ceiling(Then siliconed)

W

White Room

Just be careful how much caulking you use, try to keep it tight in the joint....to much it'll spread everywhere.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Only ever grouted to the ceiling unless it's plastic, then I silicone. Wouldn't silicone to a painted ceiling unless insisted on by the customer.

R

Rookery

Caulk usually, sometimes grout. Strictly speaking it's a movement joint and should be siliconed but I rarely do it that way cos the ceiling usually needs painting once I've finished.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I silicone to the ceiling if I don't like the customer!

(and smear too!)
Harsh that! I worked on a site of 300+ houses when I was 17 or so. Painters were ar#ehol#s, kept painting all the walls in the bathroom knowing full well we were tiling the wet areas. After weeks of arguments I began to write co#k in primer on the living room walls. Completely invisible until they started to emulsion. Took about 12 houses but they soon got the idea.

F

Flintstone

I've always ground to the ceiling, I run a wet sponge along the plaster a few times to wet it up so the grount moisture doesn't suck in, can get a nice smooth finish then. Although it's bound to crack at some point

W

White Room

I found a dark grout will stain white emulsion paint, that's why caulking filler does the trick.

Reply to Finishing To The Ceiling? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks