Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing Off. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paul Sh

What is your method of finishing off a floor when you get to the skirting boards, i personally think silicone should be kept for bathrooms and around wet areas such as sinks and baths.
I think silcone would simply look out of place in a dining room, entrance hall or conservatories and skirting boards should be removed to get the perfect finish, what methods do you use and where.:)

D

DHTiling

What is your method of finishing off a floor when you get to the skirting boards, i personally think silicone should be kept for bathrooms and around wet areas such as sinks and baths.
I think silcone would simply look out of place in a dining room, entrance hall or conservatories and skirting boards should be removed to get the perfect finish, what methods do you use and where.:)

as you know paul we all would like no skirtings when tiling but not always possible.
in bathrooms i always talk customer into removing skirtings and tiling down to floor always looks neater as some tiles are thicker than to skirting top profile.
as for other floors i dont silicone around skirtings looks NAFF, just use a little modifier in the grout to minimize cracking . dave...

G

GazTech

as you know paul we all would like no skirtings when tiling but not always possible.
in bathrooms i always talk customer into removing skirtings and tiling down to floor always looks neater as some tiles are thicker than to skirting top profile.
as for other floors i dont silicone around skirtings looks NAFF, just use a little modifier in the grout to minimize cracking . dave...
I always found that any skirts that moved could be wedged in place with rubi wedges making them solid before grout

D

DHTiling

nice tip gaz, also if skirtings are loose just put a new fixing in ( with custmrs say so though ) ....

P

Paul Sh

Care to explain the modifier, i have heard this before but know very little about it, Idiots Guide would help:icon7:

D

DHTiling

it is an additive you add to grouts etc.. to improve its strength and flexibilty.
i use bal gt1 but others on market .
hope that helps paul mate.... dave.....

P

Paul Sh

Ok Dave, cheers, one thought though. will regular flexi grout not suffice and can you add the modifier to grout that is allready made as a flexi grout.

G

GazTech

it is an additive you add to grouts etc.. to improve its strength and flexibilty.
i use bal gt1 but others on market .
hope that helps paul mate.... dave.....
GT1 is the best Wivers isn't a bad modifier either!
----
Ok Dave, cheers, one thought though. will regular flexi grout not suffice and can you add the modifier to grout that is allready made as a flexi grout.
not a good idea adding to a flexi ,,some flexi is ok,depends on the make

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Finishing Off. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen