Search the forum,

Discuss finishing off thin gaps (pics) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dunnster

Hi there,
Just planning a layout in a dining room which has three entrance doors. I have marked out the centre lines and dry layed a number of times, finally arriving at a good spot for the key tile which means I finish against all walls with a good 1/2 to 2/3 of a tile. Unfortunately, because there are doors into the room on three sides, I have ended up with gaps as shown in the pictures at the patio doors.

Allowing for a 6mm expansion gap which I intend to silicone, any suggestions as to how to finish these (other than obviously cutting a very thin strip of tile)? I thought of using some nice hardwood, similar to the door strip I am making to step down into the kitchen.

What do you think?

[DLMURL="http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorway1hw7.jpg"]
doorway1hw7.th.jpg
[/DLMURL]

View attachment 76353

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

have you tried starting from the centre line with half a tile rather than full tile

G

grumpygrouter

You might consider a slightly wider grout line, looks like your tiles will accept that. Alternatively, download the Genesis catalogue from Home. There are some very nice metal profiles in there that may just do the job (page 98 on).
----
Dan, why did my link not come up as a web address?

H

Home Tiler

i agree with endo...either move left or right half tile from center will solve that problem....just check which way would be best for cuts to the rest of the room.

D

Dunnster

Thanks again, I have tried moving each way to make this doorway fit well, but as there are three doors, I end up with the same problem somewhere else. I think this is the best fit for the room as a whole, was looking more for suggestions of addressing the gaps as they stand in the pics. :wink_smile:

W

wivers

If u use 5 mm spacers that will gve you 4mm more each way on the gap. I know that aint alot but see what it looks like.

D

DevonR

Those extra mills across the floor may also allow you to move the tile slightly and get the other 2 doors to fit better as well.

G

guy1976

have you tried to setout brick bond or diamond pattern it might solve problem or do as others say and ajust grout joints

D

DHTiling

Hi there,
Just planning a layout in a dining room which has three entrance doors. I have marked out the centre lines and dry layed a number of times, finally arriving at a good spot for the key tile which means I finish against all walls with a good 1/2 to 2/3 of a tile. Unfortunately, because there are doors into the room on three sides, I have ended up with gaps as shown in the pictures at the patio doors.

Allowing for a 6mm expansion gap which I intend to silicone, any suggestions as to how to finish these (other than obviously cutting a very thin strip of tile)? I thought of using some nice hardwood, similar to the door strip I am making to step down into the kitchen.

What do you think?

[DLMURL="http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorway1hw7.jpg"]
doorway1hw7.th.jpg
[/DLMURL]

alright dunnster mate!.. somtimes these sort of cuts cant be avoided and with them being in the door reveals wont be that obvious, as for try to cover them up, dont bother mate as will look out of place , will look ok GOOD LOOK and post a pic !!. dave...

View attachment 76591

Reply to finishing off thin gaps (pics) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen